* Updated to kernel 2.4.19 and now ipchains and iptables are broke.
@ 2002-09-26 16:50 Nathan
From: Nathan @ 2002-09-26 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List

This is surely the greenest of green questions (sorry), but I finally got my
kernel re-compiled the way I want it using the 2.4.19 sources from
kernel.org. It loads, seems to be working fine, except ipchains and
iptables... ipchains insists that it is incompatible with my kernel, and
iptables isn't sure what's going on but it thinks maybe something (itself or
the kernel) needs upgrading. Well fine. I downloaded the latest versions of
ipchains/tables from rpmfind and upgraded, same thing.

Details: OS is RH 7.3 on an i686 (P3), kernel was 2.4.18-3 that comes with
RH 7.3, ipchains was 1.3.10-10, updated to 1.3.10-17 but when I do
ipchains -V, it says it's still 1.3.10 built in Sep. 2000. iptables was
1.2.5 but is now 1.2.6a.

I haven't been able to find any actual solutions off google for this... a
few people mention the same problem but no fixes. Can someone point this
rookie in the right direction to fix my packet filters? :-)

Also a quick question: can anyone give me either a real quick answer or a
link to more reading on which is better for routing/firewalling/VPN,
ipchains or iptables?

Many thanks!

# Nathan

* Re: Updated to kernel 2.4.19 and now ipchains and iptables are broke.
@ 2002-09-26 17:02 Marc-Christian Petersen
From: Marc-Christian Petersen @ 2002-09-26 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Nathan

Hi Nathan,

> This is surely the greenest of green questions (sorry), but I finally got my
> kernel re-compiled the way I want it using the 2.4.19 sources from
> kernel.org. It loads, seems to be working fine, except ipchains and
> iptables... ipchains insists that it is incompatible with my kernel, and
> iptables isn't sure what's going on but it thinks maybe something (. Well
> fine. I downloaded the latest versions of ipchains/tables from rpmfind and
> upgraded, same thing.

"Incompatible with this kernel" for ipchains seems so that you have compiled
Netfilter stuff into your kernel.

"itself or the kernel needs upgrading" for iptables seems so that you either
haven't compiled netfilter as module(s) or static into the kernel and forgot
something in the kernel config.

> I haven't been able to find any actual solutions off google for this... a
> few people mention the same problem but no fixes. Can someone point this
> rookie in the right direction to fix my packet filters? :-)
Check your kernel config. "make menuconfig" or "xconfig" and goto:

Networking options  --->
  IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->

and look if you did it properly.

--
Kind regards
        Marc-Christian Petersen

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wolk

PGP/GnuPG Key: 1024D/569DE2E3DB441A16
Fingerprint: 3469 0CF8 CA7E 0042 7824 080A 569D E2E3 DB44 1A16
Key available at www.keyserver.net. Encrypted e-mail preferred.