* more on VIA 686B (trials)
@ 2001-06-14 17:44 David Monniaux
From: David Monniaux @ 2001-06-14 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Due to a catastrophic fan short-circuit, I was forced to exchange my
686A-based motherboard for a 686B. Bad idea!

The 686A MB (MSI-6330 aka K7T-Pro) worked perfectly well: no crashes,
UDMA 66. It accepted Athlon-optimized kernels.

The 686B MB (K7T-Lite) crashed if used with DMA (any kind - mdma0 to UDMA100),
whatever version of the "VIA fixes" was in place.
Furthermore, upgrading to BIOS 2.7 (instead of 2.5), including a so-called
"SB Live fix", made the system permanently unstable.
On top of that, running an Athlon-optimized kernel (whether or not it
was compile with =march=i686 (egcs-1.1.2) or -march=athlon (gcc 2.96)
immediately oops and crash during /etc/rc!

I replaced this mobo+Duron with an ASUS A7V133+Athlon, which
work perfectly well.
Athlon-optimized kernel, UDMA100, no problem whatsoever.

So we have two kinds of problems:
- *certain* 686B motherboards crash if used with an Athlon kernel
  (and it does not depend on the compiler options, rather on hand-made
  Athlon optimizations)
- *certain* 686B motherboards will crash if used with any kind of DMA
  under heavy disk access
- some 686B motherboards have absolutely no problem.

Crash test:
for i in `seq 1 30` ; do echo $i; tar xfz X410src-1.tgz ; rm -rf xc; done

All the above is valid for kernel version 2.4.2-RedHat to 2.4.5ac9...

Another lesson: the MSI K7T-Lite is absolute crap. The manual sucks,
and the BIOS upgrades supposed to make the machine stabler actually
make it randomly hiccup (EVEN under Windows, which is what I suppose
those mobos are supposed to run).

--
David Monniaux            http://www.di.ens.fr/~monniaux
Laboratoire d'informatique de l'École Normale Supérieure,

* Re: more on VIA 686B (trials)
@ 2001-06-14 18:10   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-06-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cory Watson; +Cc: David Monniaux, linux-kernel

> Abit KT7A, kernel oops right after boot... :(  Can be solved to turning off
> 'Enhance Chip Performance' in the BIOS, but then our chip performance is
> un'Enhance'd, and we can't have that!  So back to the K6 kernel.

And praying it doesnt go wrong on you - has it not occurred to you that the
extremely high throughput copies that the mmx copy we use causes will
occasionally happen by chance and get you anyway ?

Alan

* Re: more on VIA 686B (trials)
@ 2001-06-14 18:11 ` Cory Watson
From: Cory Watson @ 2001-06-14 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monniaux, linux-kernel

On Thursday 14 June 2001 12:44 pm, David Monniaux wrote:
> So we have two kinds of problems:
> - *certain* 686B motherboards crash if used with an Athlon kernel
>   (and it does not depend on the compiler options, rather on hand-made
>   Athlon optimizations)

Abit KT7A, kernel oops right after boot... :(  Can be solved to turning off
'Enhance Chip Performance' in the BIOS, but then our chip performance is
un'Enhance'd, and we can't have that!  So back to the K6 kernel.

--
Cory 'G' Watson
   Dad are you vicariously living through me in the hope that my

* Re: more on VIA 686B (trials)
@ 2001-06-14 18:11 ` Rachel Greenham
From: Rachel Greenham @ 2001-06-14 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monniaux; +Cc: linux-kernel

David Monniaux wrote:

>I replaced this mobo+Duron with an ASUS A7V133+Athlon, which
>work perfectly well.
>Athlon-optimized kernel, UDMA100, no problem whatsoever.

Which is odd, because that's exactly my combination (ASUS A7V133 +
Athlon), and I get crashes with DMA on anything from 2.4.3-ac7 onwards,
but up to 2.4.3-ac6 is rock-steady. (my crash test is "bonnie -s 1024"
:-)) I wonder what's different between our machines (apart from distro,
which I wouldn't expect to be relevant)? Clock speed? We tried
downclocking my Athlon to 1.0 GHz but it made no difference.

I've been tinkering (have no kernel programming experience) with
selectively forward-porting the 2.4.3-ac6 code to newer kernels for my
own use at least, but haven't got it right yet.

--
Rachel

* Re: more on VIA 686B (trials)
@ 2001-06-14 18:29     ` Cory Watson
From: Cory Watson @ 2001-06-14 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thursday 14 June 2001 01:10 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> And praying it doesnt go wrong on you - has it not occurred to you that the
> extremely high throughput copies that the mmx copy we use causes will
> occasionally happen by chance and get you anyway ?

Yeah, it's occurred to me, but it's yet to happen.  I fought with the thing
for 48 hours, and after settling on a K6 kernel w/'Enhanced' enabled, I've
not had a single problem.  I suppose it's possible that I've not seen the
problem, but I've put this box through it's paces many times over since I
settled.  I gave it another go with 2.4.6-pre3 this morning, hoping something
had snuck in ;)

--
Cory 'G' Watson
   You know what we need, Hobbes? We need an attitude. Yeah, you can't be cool