Hello, I posted this issue already on linux-mm, linux-kernel and dm-devel a few days ago and after further investigation it seems like that this issue is somehow related to the fact that I am using an Intel Rapid Storage RAID10, so I am summarizing everything again in this mail and include linux-raid in my post. Sorry for the noise... :( I am currently setting up a new machine (since my old one broke down) and I ran into a lot of " Unable to allocate memory on node -1" warnings while using dm-crypt. I have attached as much of the full log as I could recover. The encrypted device is sitting on a RAID10 (software raid, Intel Rapid Storage). I am currently limited to testing via Linux live images since the machine is not yet properly setup but I did my tests across several of those. Steps to reproduce are: 1) cryptsetup -s 512 -d /dev/urandom -c aes-xts-plain64 open --type plain /dev/md126p5 test-device 2) dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/test-device status=progress bs=512K While running and monitoring the memory usage with free, it can be seen that the used memory increases rapidly and after just a few seconds, the system is out of memory and page allocation failures start to be issued as well as the OOM killer gets involved. I have also seen this behavior with mkfs.ext4 being used on the same device -- at least with 1.43.1. Using direct i/o will work fine and not cause any issue. Also if dm-crypt is out of the picture, the problem does also not occur. I did further tests: 1) dd block size has no influence on the issue whatsoever 2) using dm-crypt on an image located on an ext2 on the RAID10 works fine 3) using an external (connected through USB3) hd with two partitions and using either a RAID1 or RAID10 on it via Linux s/w RAID with dm-crypt on-top, does also work fine But as soon as I use dm-crypt on the Intel Rapid Storage RAID10, the issue is 100% reproducible. I tested all of this on a Fedora Rawhide Live Image as I currently still am in the process of setting the new machine up. Those images are available here to download: download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Workstation/x86_64/iso/ The machine itself has 32 GiB of RAM (plenty), no swap (live image) and is a 6700k on a Z170 chipset. The kernel is the default provided with the live image... right now that is a very recent git after 4.7.0rc6 but before rc7. But the issue also shows on 4.4.8 and 4.5.5. The stripe size of the RAID10 is 64k, if that matters. I am now pretty much out of ideas what else to test and where the problem could stem from. Suffice to say that this has impacted my trust in this particular setup. I hope I can help to find the cause of this. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Also, since I am not subscribed to the lists right now (I have to make due with a crappy WebMail interface until everything is setup), please cc' me accordingly. Thanks a lot. With Kind Regards from Germany, Matthias -- Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration