From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>
To: Sardonimous <sardonimous@hotmail.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com>,
	Linux Regressions <regressions@lists.linux.dev>,
	Linux Wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	Netdev <netdev@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: "Michael Büsch" <m@bues.ch>, "kernel test robot" <lkp@intel.com>,
	"Simon Horman" <simon.horman@corigine.com>,
	"Kalle Valo" <kvalo@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: After kernel 6.3.7 or 6.3.8 b43 driver fails
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 19:31:04 -0500	[thread overview]

On 6/26/23 16:33, Sardonimous wrote:

> On 6/26/23 10:21 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
>> On 6/26/23 07:44, Sardonimous wrote:
>>> If I were to send you some test patches, could you create a kernel with them
>>> applied?
>>>
>>> Doubtful.
>>
>> Sardonimous,
>>
>> OK, that essentially eliminates  getting DMA to work. The cost of a
>> MacBookPro7 is too much for me to acquire one to debug that issue.
>>
>> On my PowerBook G4, I also got the failure to connect, thus I should be able
>> to fix that problem, but getting a new kernel with the fix onto your machine
>> will not be easy.
>
> It might be possible to follow the arch instructions for patching the kernel
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Arch_build_system
>
> It takes about a day to rebuild the kernel following this procedure.
>
>> Is it possible to ssh into your machine, or to use TeamViewer? Those questions
>> do not need an answer now, but think about them.
>
> This is complicated by being in a CGNAT environment.  I usually do this via
> tailscale.  Will have to think about it.
>
>> Larry
>
> Should pio=1 qos=0 cause the problems that it does?  It if is no longer a
> supported configuration, perhaps it should fail more gracefully.

Setting qos=0 will generate a harmless warning, but the network still works.
Using pio=1 should still be supported.

I am bisecting the source. It will take a while as I still have 13 kernels to
build and my PowerBook G4 takes about 6 hours per build - it is a lot slower
than your computer. At this point, I know that kernel v6.1.0 works, and that
v6.2.0-rc4 fails.

If you can find a 6.1 kernel, it should work for you. Once I know the fix, we
can explore having you patch and rebuild your 6.3.X kernel.

Larry