* Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.
@ 2003-07-24  8:40 Dean McEwan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dean McEwan @ 2003-07-24  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 After recently reading Mr. Stallman's online *BLURB*
at www.stallman.org, specifically the diary entry
on June 28th 2003, I am disturbed, I would like to
work on helping you people move to a OSL licence,
work out copyright owners and add the OSL option to each
individual file one by one.

 I am willing to pay to track down unfindable people.

 This license does not lose you any additional freedoms,
in fact it is more legally secure so it gains you
legal security, as well as the traditional GNU freedoms
which RMS is jeopordising with a disgusting set of
*IDEALS*.

In cases where members have died I will pay to track down their copyright "bequethers".

I will build up a copyright list for each file using BK
and the CHANGELIST/SET files, as well as listed file
copyright holders in that file.

---
Cheers, Dean McEwan.
One of 4 members of the board of DM. TECH.

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com

* Re: Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.
@ 2003-07-24 10:35 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2003-07-24 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Yeah the bit about "Nasal Sex with Dead Plants" just makes one wonder, is
> a rose just a rose?  (note to self, don't read RMS's diary again)

  Uhhuh, have you people lost your sense o humour?
  Did actually _anyone_ red the Texan history rms describes on his site?

  I personally find the history (where rms was denied to continue his
lisp machine lectures given that absurd excuse he was commiting a
nasal sex with dead plants) quite amusing...
  But here you go, just care to read it before commenting.

  Besides all i find rms diary rather interesting.

> Has anyone ever asked why it is okay for RMS to suggest it is okay to
> invalidate another person/company license (BitKeeper is the example) yet

 I`m sure there is a link to a such his statement archived on the web.
 Google returns too much results to be useful, so i`d be rather delighted
if you provide me with en exact link to this his statement.

> become offended when their own license is to desired to be invalidated?
>
> Why is it that nothing but gpl can exist with gpl?
>
> Why is that a superior option to license under which follows the
> original spirit of GPL but goes further to promote the ideas of open
> source is frowned upon?

  Do yo mean rms reacted negatively to the existence of OSL?
  I`m interested in that.

> Maybe it has something to do with self pollenation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group

regards, Samium Gromoff

* Re: Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.
@ 2003-07-24 11:51 Dean McEwan
From: Dean McEwan @ 2003-07-24 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader, Miles Bader, Andre Hedrick; +Cc: dean.mcewan, linux-kernel

>Yeah the bit about "Nasal Sex with Dead Plants" just >makes one wonder, is
>a rose just a rose?  (note to self, don't read RMS's >diary again)

:-) not the point I was talking about, but , still :-)
 Anyway,  I hear you are going to court, y'know 10
months ago I would be in no doubt about verbally murdering
you, but after reading the diary where he says one
particular type of scum of the universe can trade their
photos as far as he's concerned. Eurrggh. I feel dirty
inside for calling myself a "GPL FUNDAMETALIST" to him and
the community.

I believe in FOSS, just not his vision of FOSS. Euuggh.

This court case, do tell.

---
Cheers, Dean.
No Warrantee for incorrectness
after all, Dubya doesn't have one...

One of 4 members of the board of DM. TECH.
a.k.a. Everybody at DM. TECH's Boss.
Member of ATI Open Source development project.
NDA's signed to date = 29.
Number of people who've blocked me = priceless.

@ 2003-07-25  9:34 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2003-07-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kilobug; +Cc: linux-kernel

> And MS  Word allows to  export data in  plain text or html.   But it's
> still allowed to  reverse MS Word to make  a .doc import/export plugin
> for OpenOffice or Abiword.
>
> This is  exactly the  same. As  long as there  is a  data format  or a
> protocol involved,  European laws allow users to  reverse engineer it,
> to  be  able to  create  another program  using  the  same format  and
> protocols.

 Please stop pissing off Larry and spread FUD.

 Go help Tom Lord to write arch instead.

cheers, Samium Gromoff

* Re: Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.
@ 2003-07-25 15:33 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-25 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kilobug, lm; +Cc: jesse, lgcdutra, linux-kernel, lm

>  >> Nonesense. If the business no longer has the licence to use BK (for
>  >> whatever reason) then it no longer has access to the data. Now to
>  >> get access to the data you must reverse engineer BK...
>
>  > Oh, I see, you violate our license, your license is revoked, and
>  > now you have the write to reverse engineer BK?  Show me the law which
>  > says that is true.
>
> I was working  on a project during  my free time using BK,  and then I
> get employed  by a company  contributing to Subversion. My  license is
> then void, but I want to be  able to still use the files and servers I
> used before. Reverse is allowed, and moral, in this case.

What if a patent is discovered which is owned by somebody other than
Larry, which covers something in BK?  If nobody is allowed to use BK,
how would we get the data out?

John.

* Re: Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.
@ 2003-07-26 19:46 Hank Leininger
From: Hank Leininger @ 2003-07-26 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 2003-07-25, Jesse Pollard <jesse () cats-chateau ! net> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2003 16:57, Larry McVoy wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > In other words, reverse engineering is ok if the product doesn't
> > provide access to your data, we do that already, poof, no reverse
> > engineering allowed.  So it's illegal to reverse engineer BK.

> Nonesense. If the business no longer has the licence to use BK (for
> whatever reason) then it no longer has access to the data. Now to
> get access to the data you must reverse engineer BK...

Or, just ask.  Larry has always been (or given the appearance of being)
open to handling special cases/requests reasonably[1].  Seriously, do you
think BM would turn down a "Er, we didn't see this coming, is it OK for us
to use our free-licensed BK one more time to export to SCCS or whatever?
We promise there won't be a guy from the SCM team shoulder-surfing or
tcpdumping while we do so" request?  If they *did* turn down a reasonable
request, *then* maybe there would be something legitemate to flame them
about.

[1] Of course, the definition of "reasonable" will now be debated to death.

--
Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>

* Re: Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.
@ 2003-07-26 20:20 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lgcdutra, lm; +Cc: linux-kernel

> reverse engineering / copying is much easier than creating in the
> first place

In your opinion.

John.