Thanks for all the replies; I am using the O'Reilly book - but I'm kind of stuck using the semantics that the driver's original author used. The whole effort is so we can experiment with some hardware rather than for final release, so we don't want to spend too much effort reengineering anything we don't have to. Heh. I missed the part in LDD that mentions kmalloc regions being unpageable. ;-> -- "Oh, bother!" said the Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh!" "Thanks for noticing." replied Eeyore. mheinz@infiniconsys.com