From: "Norman Diamond" <ndiamond@wta.att.ne.jp>
To: <generica@email.com>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Tried to run 2.6.0-test1
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:06:32 +0900	[thread overview]

"Brett" <generica@email.com> replied to one of my desperate messages today.
I'm sending this personally and to the list.  Again I can't keep up with the
list, so if Brett or anyone else has further advice or questions, please
contact me directly.

> > By the way, the last line in that README file says that if this is all
> > too complicated then install the source RPM.  Gee thanks.  I already
> >  tried "rpm --rebuild" but it assumes an i686.
>
> you want rpmbuild

SuSE 8.1 doesn't seem to have it.

> [brett@synapse brett]$ rpmbuild --help
> Usage: rpmbuild [OPTION...]
> <snip>
>   --target=CPU-VENDOR-OS        override target platform

Yeah, that's better than ARCH-VENDOR-OS.  The rpm --rebuild command's
assumed arch of i486 was fine with me, the problem is the assumed cpu of
i686.

Any chance that the rpm --rebuild command's arch-vendor-os might really mean
cpu-vendor-os?  Nah, I guess you would have said so if it were.

> rpmbuild --target=i586 --rebuild modutils-*.src.rpm

Oh, it doesn't need --target=i586-intel-linux  :-?  (By the way, the reason
I come up with snarky questions like this one is that I RTFM.  Sigh.)