+ Jes On 10/5/2020 4:12 PM, Kalle Valo wrote: > Greg Kroah-Hartman writes: > >> On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 01:53:58PM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote: >>> On 2020-10-02 13:37:25 [+0200], Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote: >>>>> Is it possible to end up here in softirq context or is this a relic? >>>> >>>> I think it's a relic of where USB host controllers completed their urbs >>>> in hard-irq mode. The BH/tasklet change is a pretty recent change. >>> >>> But the BH thingy for HCDs went in v3.12 for EHCI. XHCI was v5.5. My >>> guess would be that people using orinoco USB are on EHCI :) >> >> USB 3 systems run XHCI, which has a USB 2 controller in it, so these >> types of things might not have been noticed yet. Who knows :) >> >>>>> Should it be removed? >>>> >>>> We can move it out to drivers/staging/ and then drop it to see if anyone >>>> complains that they have the device and is willing to test any changes. >>> >>> Not sure moving is easy since it depends on other files in that folder. >>> USB is one interface next to PCI for instance. Unless you meant to move >>> the whole driver including all interfaces. >>> I was suggesting to remove the USB bits. >> >> I forgot this was tied into other code, sorry. I don't know what to >> suggest other than maybe try to fix it up the best that you can, and >> let's see if anyone notices... > > That's what I would suggest as well. > > These drivers for ancient hardware are tricky. Even if there doesn't > seem to be any users on the driver sometimes people pop up reporting > that it's still usable. We had that recently with one another wireless > driver (forgot the name already). Quite a while ago I shipped an orinoco dongle to Jes Sorensen which he wanted to use for some intern project if I recall correctly. Guess that idea did not fly yet. Regards, Arend