* Polling /proc/apm causes usb hiccups and clock drift
@ 2002-09-24 13:12 James D Strandboge
       [not found] ` <20020924162205.GB7775@titan.lahn.de>
From: James D Strandboge @ 2002-09-24 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently purchased a usb webcam and found that polling /proc/apm
causes the webcam in xawtv to skip.  I can do this either by doing 'cat
/proc/apm' or using the gnome battstat-applet.  Syslog says:

Sep 23 10:14:17 sirius kernel: usb-uhci.c: iso_find_start: gap in
seamless isochronous scheduling
Sep 23 10:14:18 sirius kernel: quickcam: too little data by 48260
Sep 23 10:14:18 sirius kernel: quickcam: failed qc_imag_convert()=-90

Disabling the battstat-applet and not touching /proc/apm lets xawtv work
fine without the above errors.  Polling /proc/apm also causes clock
drift.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop (1.6Ghz Pentium 4).  Using kernel
2.4.18-686 from debian.  I read that this happened to people in the 2.2
series.  Is this a kernel apm bug or BIOS problem?  Do I just have to
live with it?

Thanks,

Jamie Strandboge

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A

* Re: Polling /proc/apm causes usb hiccups and clock drift
@ 2002-09-25  9:48 Thomas Hood
From: Thomas Hood @ 2002-09-25  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: jstrand1

James D Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> polling /proc/apm causes the webcam in xawtv to skip.
> [...]
> Is this a kernel apm bug or BIOS problem?

The apm driver calls the APM BIOS with interrupts disabled
each time /proc/apm is read.  This appears to be taking
too much time away from video processing.

http://uk.my.yahoo.com