On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 21:20, Keith Ansell wrote: > help > > My application uses SHARED memory mapping files for file I/O, and we have > observed > that Linux does not flush dirty pages to disk until munmap or msync are > called. > > I would like to know are there any development plans which would address > this issue or > if there is a version of bdflush which flushes write required pages (dirty > pages) to disk? The linux behavior is perfectly fine and conformant to the posix/sus specifications, applications that break because of this are defective and need fixing. This is a performance optimisation that the OS is perfectly allowed to do.