On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 00:02, Alan Cox wrote: > On Sad, 2003-04-19 at 18:18, Florian Weimer wrote: > > Stephan von Krawczynski writes: > > > > > Most I came across have only small problems (few dead sectors), > > > > IDE disks automatically remap defective sectors, so you won't see any > > of them unless the disk is already quite broken. > > You will if it writes and fails to read back. The disk can't invent a > sector that is gone. but linux can if you use an raid1 mirror... maybe we should teach the md layer to write back the data from the other disk on a "bad sector" error.