On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:30:16 +0200, Martin J. Bligh wrote: >> Yes, but that's a user space problem too. Nothing prevents your >> distribution to crank up the volume to 100% also on a first-time >> installation. > > 100% would be stupid too. If the distro can pick a reasonable value, the > kernel can too. Thus the argument "push the problem into userspace" > doesn't do anything for me. 100% isn't good. F.ex. emu10k1 cards would lead to more bugreports since you get clipping with that volume. >> The kernel should pick a value that's safe in all cases. And this is >> zero. Don't forget that there can be several seconds between the >> driver's initialization and the moment when the user-space utility gets >> to change the settings. > > So if people want 0 volume for some reason, they can set *that* in > userspace. Windows can manage to do this without cocking it up. I don't > see why we can't achieve it. Which is stupid, since you need it zero before it can get to userspace. (see the examples) And i know windows users who hates windows soundcontrol since it plays a lame sound at boot up and you can't lower the volume there (yes, easy workaround, but the same thing). But, imho: PCM should not be 0, Setting main volume to 0 is good, but seeing the common user getting there might be a problem. Imagine: Joe User installs Joe-Distro and starts xmms, now, with the default config you change the 'master' volume but pcm is still 0. This is something that will/could/might/etc cause reports like that. Problem is, emu10k1 is good somewhere on the lines of 90% when it comes to pcm... I dunno if other cards has simular issues. Change PCM (and simular) if anything, changing master will only cause problems, as seen. CC, since I'm not on this ml. -- Ian Kumlien