* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27  5:13 Louis Garcia
From: Louis Garcia @ 2003-05-27  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Error while loading radeon:

modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting radeon
(/lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.ko): Unknown symbol
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
kernel: radeon: Unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features

--Lou

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-29 11:14           ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-05-29 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:22:42PM +0300, ismail (cartman) donmez wrote:

 > Quite true. But there are bugs at kernel bugzilla which
 >
 > 1- People care about it being fixed
 > 2- Tests beta kernels to see if its fixed
 > 3- Reports success/failures
 >
 > But still these bugs are unresolved. I do not say/mean kernel hackers do not
 > care them or something like that but it would be better to get these kind of
 > bugs ( with user base who tests them ) fixed before pre-2.6 releases.

Quite a lot of the 'xxx driver does not compile' bugs in bugzilla
may actually have been filed by people just doing coverage testing
to see what actually compiles and what doesn't.
This does unfortunatly make it harder to see at first glance which
drivers are actually still being used by users. The fact that quite
a few of them have no follow-ups does suggest however that no-one who
actually has the hardware cares enough to keep pushing to get things
fixed.  Moving a bunch of these under a CONFIG_BROKEN could be a useful
thing to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

		Dave

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-29 11:14             ` ismail (cartman) donmez
From: ismail (cartman) donmez @ 2003-05-29 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 29 May 2003 14:14, Dave Jones wrote:
> Quite a lot of the 'xxx driver does not compile' bugs in bugzilla
> may actually have been filed by people just doing coverage testing
> to see what actually compiles and what doesn't.
> This does unfortunatly make it harder to see at first glance which
> drivers are actually still being used by users. The fact that quite
> a few of them have no follow-ups does suggest however that no-one who
> actually has the hardware cares enough to keep pushing to get things
> fixed.  Moving a bunch of these under a CONFIG_BROKEN could be a useful
> thing to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I was talking about bugs where user does provide valuable feedback not just
this/that does not compile but more info,debugging,testing etc.

Regards,
/ismail

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-28 22:40         ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-05-28 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> >
> > Just the other day you posted strong opposition to breaking existing
> > binaries, how does that map with breaking existing hardware?
>
> One fundamental difference is that I cannot fix it without people who
> _have_ the hardware caring. So if they don't care, I don't care. It's that
> easy. If you want to have your hardware supported, you need to help
> support it.

That's the case now, isn't it? unless the person with the non-working
hardware is willing and able to become the maintainer a lot of drivers
don't seem to get fixed. Unfortunately that the people with the old
hardware usually aren't developers.

> Another difference is that it's better to not work at all, than to work
> incorrectly. So if your kernel doesn't boot or can't use your random piece
> of hardware, you just use an old kernel. But if everything looks normal,
> but some binary breaks in strange ways, that's _bad_.

Totally agree.

> The latter reason is, btw, why we don't paper over the build failures like
> some people suggested. If it hasn't been updated to the new interfaces, it
> should preferably not even build: which is a big reason why we try to
> rename interfaces when they change, exactly so that you don't get a subtly
> broken build.

I don't think anyone suggested that, but there are a fair number of
drivers which could be fixed in minutes by someone who understands the new
interface. Replacing cli is easy, knowing what you replace it with is
something else again. There are new locks, per-cpu stuff added, lockless
methods... to do this right you have to do it often, and few users can do
more than give an error report which allows the problem to be reproduced.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-28 19:22         ` ismail (cartman) donmez
From: ismail (cartman) donmez @ 2003-05-28 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-05-28 17:55   ` John Cherry
From: John Cherry @ 2003-05-28 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry.  There was a translation error in the last batch of numbers I
sent out.  We actually went from 1567 warnings in a full allmodconfig
build to 1366 warning (down 201 warnings!).

          bzImage       bzImage        modules
        (defconfig)  (allmodconfig) (allmodconfig)

2.5.70  7 warnings    10 warnings   1366 warnings
        0 errors       0 errors       57 errors

2.5.69  7 warnings    11 warnings   1567 warnings
        0 errors       0 errors       57 errors

2.5.68  7 warnings    11 warnings   1975 warnings
        0 errors       6 errors       60 errors

2.5.67  8 warnings    12 warnings   2136 warnings
        0 errors       6 errors       89 errros

John

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-28 16:14       ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2003-05-28 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Just the other day you posted strong opposition to breaking existing
> binaries, how does that map with breaking existing hardware?

One fundamental difference is that I cannot fix it without people who
_have_ the hardware caring. So if they don't care, I don't care. It's that
easy. If you want to have your hardware supported, you need to help
support it.

Another difference is that it's better to not work at all, than to work
incorrectly. So if your kernel doesn't boot or can't use your random piece
of hardware, you just use an old kernel. But if everything looks normal,
but some binary breaks in strange ways, that's _bad_.

The latter reason is, btw, why we don't paper over the build failures like
some people suggested. If it hasn't been updated to the new interfaces, it
should preferably not even build: which is a big reason why we try to
rename interfaces when they change, exactly so that you don't get a subtly
broken build.

		Linus

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-28 16:08       ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-05-28 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ricky Beam wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ricky Beam wrote:
> >>
> >> Count up the number of drivers that haven't been updated to the current
> >> PCI, hotplug, and modules interfaces.
> >
> >Tough. If people don't use them, they don't get supported. It's that easy.
>
> Allow me to clarify... I don't mind drivers not working.  I *do* mind
> drivers emitting hundreds of warnings and errors because dozens of things
> were changed and no one cared to update everything they broke.  In some
> cases, fixing things may be simple (eg. someone removed or renamed a field
> in a struct somewhere) and in others years of work my be required (eg.
> the new module interface.)
>
> In my opinion (as it was in the long long ago), everything in a "stable"
> release should at least compile cleanly -- "working" comes later after
> users have been conned into using it.

See the stats posted to lkml from time to time on errors and warnings. The
2.4 stable kernels don't compile cleanly, with some combinations of config
options they may not compile at all. The ones which compile and work, even
with all manner of warnings, are a good place to start doing some
housekeeping and sending it back to the maintainer.

Maintainers vary on their desire to push cosmetic fixes into working
code, even when they are correct.

--

@ 2003-05-28 15:58     ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-05-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ricky Beam wrote:
> >
> > Count up the number of drivers that haven't been updated to the current
> > PCI, hotplug, and modules interfaces.
>
> Tough. If people don't use them, they don't get supported. It's that easy.

Just the other day you posted strong opposition to breaking existing
binaries, how does that map with breaking existing hardware?

> The thing is, these things won't change before 2.6 (or at least a
> pre-2.6). When 2.6.0 comes out, and somebody notices that they haven't
> bothered to try the 2.5.x series, _then_ maybe some of those odd-ball
> drivers get fixed.
>
> Or not. Some of them may be literally due for retirement, with users just
> running an old kernel on old hardware.
>
> Btw, this is nothing new. It has _always_ been the case that a lot of
> people didn't use the latest stable kernel until it was released, and then
> they complained because the drivers they used weren't up to spec.
>
> 			Linus

That's clearly true, but part of the reason is that some drivers just
don't compile, so people assume it's a work in progress. And when problems
are reported they sometimes don't get fixed even when there is a
maintainer listed for a driver. Hopefully vendors will pick up the slack
for things like that and the power management issues.

--

@ 2003-05-28 15:56 ` Paweł Gołaszewski
From: Paweł Gołaszewski @ 2003-05-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> > Finally - I've started to worry if this kernel will be ever released
> > When building framebuffer driver for my new Matrox G400 I get this
> > error:
> >
> > scripts/fixdep drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.o 'gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-protot
> >   LD      drivers/video/logo/built-in.o
> >   CC      drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.o
> > In file included from drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:105:
> > drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:52: video/fbcon.h: No such file or directory
> I just sent email there yesterday with URL of matroxfb patch I sent to
> Linus for inclusion.

sorry - I haven't seen it...

> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/mga-stripdown-2.5.70.gz

Tnx - it builds fine now. After I'll be back home I'll check if it works
:)

There is second problem - some unresolved symbols while make
modules_install:

if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.5.70; fi
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k7.ko needs unknown symbol dmi_broken
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.ko needs unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.ko needs unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/mga.ko needs unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i830.ko needs unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.ko needs unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/drm/gamma.ko needs unknown symbol mmu_cr4_features
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.5.70/kernel/drivers/char/agp/nvidia-agp.ko needs unknown symbol agp_memory_reserved

My kernel config:
http://piorun.ds.pg.gda.pl/~blues/config-2.5.70.txt

--
pozdr.  Paweł Gołaszewski
---------------------------------

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-28 15:08 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-05-28 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawel Golaszewski; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 28 May 03 at 16:59, Paweł Gołaszewski wrote:
> Finally - I've started to worry if this kernel will be ever released :)
>
> When building framebuffer driver for my new Matrox G400 I get this error:
>
> scripts/fixdep drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.o 'gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-protot

>   LD      drivers/video/logo/built-in.o
>   CC      drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.o
> In file included from drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:105:
> drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:52: video/fbcon.h: No such file or directory

I just sent email there yesterday with URL of matroxfb patch I sent to
Linus for inclusion.

ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/mga-stripdown-2.5.70.gz

                                                    Petr Vandrovec

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-28 14:59 ` Paweł Gołaszewski
From: Paweł Gołaszewski @ 2003-05-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Finally - I've started to worry if this kernel will be ever released :)

When building framebuffer driver for my new Matrox G400 I get this error:

scripts/fixdep drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.o 'gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -malign-functions=4 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -nostdinc -iwithprefix include    -DKBUILD_BASENAME=logo_linux_clut224 -DKBUILD_MODNAME=logo_linux_clut224 -c -o drivers/video/logo/.tmp_logo_linux_clut224.o drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.c' > drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.tmp; rm -f drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.d; mv -f drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.tmp drivers/video/logo/.logo_linux_clut224.o.cmd
  LD      drivers/video/logo/built-in.o
  CC      drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.o
In file included from drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:105:
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:52: video/fbcon.h: No such file or directory
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:53: video/fbcon-cfb4.h: No such file or directory
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:54: video/fbcon-cfb8.h: No such file or directory
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:55: video/fbcon-cfb16.h: No such file or directory
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:56: video/fbcon-cfb24.h: No such file or directory
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:57: video/fbcon-cfb32.h: No such file or directory
In file included from drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:105:
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:341: warning: `struct display' declared inside parameter list
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:341: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want.
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:342: warning: `struct display' declared inside parameter list
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:558: field `dispsw' has incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h: In function `mxinfo':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.h:633: dereferencing pointer to incomplete
typedrivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: At top level:
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: braces around scalar initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: (near initialization for `vesafb_defined.rotate')
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: (near initialization for `vesafb_defined.rotate')
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: (near initialization for `vesafb_defined.rotate')
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: (near initialization for `vesafb_defined.rotate')
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: (near initialization for `vesafb_defined.rotate')
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:148: warning: (near initialization for `vesafb_defined.rotate')
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `my_install_cmap':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:158: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matrox_pan_var':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:186: warning: implicit declaration of function `fontheight'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:186: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:186: warning: implicit declaration of function `fontwidth'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:169: warning: `pos' might be used uninitialized in this function
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_remove':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:238: structure has no member named `disp'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_pan_display':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:279: `fb_display' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:279: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:279: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_updatevar':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:303: `fb_display' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_set_var':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:688: `fb_display' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:690: structure has no member named `disp'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:700: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:701: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:702: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:703: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:704: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:705: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:706: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:707: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:711: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:721: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:725: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:728: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:729: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:735: structure has no member named `changevar'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:736: structure has no member named `changevar'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:802: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:678: warning: `display' might be used uninitialized in this function
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:738: warning: `pos' might be used uninitialized in this function
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_get_cmap':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:866: structure has no member named `disp'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:867: `fb_display' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:876: warning: implicit declaration of function `fb_get_cmap'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:877: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:878: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:880: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_set_cmap':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:890: structure has no member named `disp'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:890: `fb_display' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:899: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:900: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:903: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:910: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_ioctl':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1009: structure has no member named `switch_con'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: At top level:
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1188: unknown field `fb_set_var' specified in initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1188: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1189: unknown field `fb_get_cmap' specified in initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1189: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1190: unknown field `fb_set_cmap' specified in initializer
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1190: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1192: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1194: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_switch':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1207: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1222: structure has no member named `disp'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1224: `fb_display' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1226: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1235: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1200: warning: `cmap' might be used uninitialized in this function
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1201: warning: `p' might be used uninitialized in this function
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `initMatrox2':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1741: structure has no member named `fontname'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1742: structure has no member named `fontname'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1753: structure has no member named `modename'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1754: structure has no member named `changevar'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1756: structure has no member named `disp'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1757: structure has no member named `switch_con'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1758: structure has no member named `updatevar'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:1874: structure has no member named `modename'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c: In function `matroxfb_probe':
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2015: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2027: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2027: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2027: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2027: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2027: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2027: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2034: structure has no member named `fontname'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2034: structure has no member named `fontname'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2034: structure has no member named `fontname'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2034: structure has no member named `fontname'
drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.c:2034: structure has no member named `fontname'
make[3]: *** [drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_base.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/video/matrox] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/video] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
Command exited with non-zero status 2

--
pozdr.  Pawe? Go?aszewski
---------------------------------

@ 2003-05-28  2:30   ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2003-05-28  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 18:58, Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >... to start the "pre-2.6" series ...
>
> You're kidding, right?  2.5 is no where near ready to be called anything
> like "2.6".

Don't freak out too much - remember how long the -test series lasted last time
(most of a year).  Hopefully it will be faster this time, but even twice as
fast will still give people time to beat on their favorite features and
drivers.

Regards,

Daniel

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 21:42 ` John Cherry
From: John Cherry @ 2003-05-27 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.1054055041.7585.linux-kernel2news@redhat.com>
@ 2003-05-27 21:25 ` Pete Zaitcev
From: Pete Zaitcev @ 2003-05-27 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricky Beam; +Cc: linux-kernel

>[...]
> Take a look at the number of arch's that haven't seen much testing (and
> in many respects are thus broken)... does anyone have a functional 2.5.70
> sparc64 kernel?  I've built several but they're all too big to be booted
> (i.e. over 3.5M, and yes, I've turned off everything possible.)

The topic of architectures being behind was discussed in the
context of AKPM's must-fix list, before Hanna's #lse call.
The decision is to go ahead with first tier architectures only.
Please deal with it.

-- Pete

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 21:15         ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2003-05-27 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

>This is not just a core kernel issue - we've seen this with subsystems
>like ext3 and ReiserFS: they were "finished' and "stable", but what made
>them _really_ stable was a release or two on vendor kernels, and thousands
>of users.

I wish this wasn't true, but it was.  When I say something is stable, I
mean that we have fixed every reported bug.

I have this hypothesis of software engineering which is that every order
of magnitude increase in the number of users finds as many bugs as the
previous order of magnitude increase.

With ReiserFS, I several times publicly said that it was stable, and for
that order of magnitude of users it was, and then the order of magnitude
changed and it wasn't....

With V4 we are going to benefit from an accumulation of testing scripts
(and more experience at what we do plus less hurried code), and that
will put us a few orders of magnitude farther ahead.

It will be a bit ironic that V4 is architected for greater data security
with its atomic filesystem operations, and yet V3 will for quite some
time offer greater data security in reality.

(V4 is currently being tuned for CPU consumption, and its VM
interaction.  We have some fond hope of releasing in July.)

--
Hans

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 21:06   ` Andreas Boman
From: Andreas Boman @ 2003-05-27 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricky Beam; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 12:58, Ricky Beam wrote:
<SNIP>
> Take a look at the number of arch's that haven't seen much testing (and
> in many respects are thus broken)... does anyone have a functional 2.5.70
> sparc64 kernel?  I've built several but they're all too big to be booted
> (i.e. over 3.5M, and yes, I've turned off everything possible.)
> --Ricky

aboman@griffin:~> uname -a
Linux griffin 2.5.70 #1 Tue May 27 16:53:08 EDT 2003 sparc64 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

aboman@griffin:~> ls -lh /boot/vmlinux-2.5.70
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root         2.6M May 27 16:57 /boot/vmlinux-2.5.70

regards,
	Andreas

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 19:18       ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2003-05-27 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:09:43PM -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:

> Allow me to clarify... I don't mind drivers not working.  I *do* mind
> drivers emitting hundreds of warnings and errors because dozens of things
> were changed and no one cared to update everything they broke.  In some
> cases, fixing things may be simple (eg. someone removed or renamed a field
> in a struct somewhere) and in others years of work my be required (eg.
> the new module interface.)

Many warnings are for problems that were already present in 2.4 or for
using deprecated (IOW: working) functions. It might be a thought to
probably disable deprecated warnings for stable kernel releases (read
2.6.0, 2.6.1,...) but it's not always a measurement for how far away we
are from 2.6. And besides, a full build of 2.4.20 with gcc 2.95 gives
you 103 warnings.

> In my opinion (as it was in the long long ago), everything in a "stable"
> release should at least compile cleanly -- "working" comes later after
> users have been conned into using it.

IMHO compiling and non-working (or worse: working but data-corrupting)
is worse than non-compiling. It might be a good idea to let broken
drivers depend on an (undefined) CONFIG_BROKEN, but this is only a minor
detail with no influence on the 2.6 schedule.

> --Ricky

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 18:31       ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-05-27 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 11:09, Ricky Beam wrote:

> In my opinion (as it was in the long long ago), everything in a "stable"
> release should at least compile cleanly -- "working" comes later after
> users have been conned into using it.

A lot of this will happen in 2.6-pre, prior to 2.6.0, do not worry.

A final stable release is still a few months off, although as Linus and
Alan have said even that does not mean perfection. But before 2.6.0 hits
the streets, 2.6-pre will mature a lot. This is how things work.

	Robert Love

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 18:22       ` Jeff Garzik
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-05-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:09:43PM -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ricky Beam wrote:
> >>
> >> Count up the number of drivers that haven't been updated to the current
> >> PCI, hotplug, and modules interfaces.
> >
> >Tough. If people don't use them, they don't get supported. It's that easy.
>
> Allow me to clarify... I don't mind drivers not working.  I *do* mind
> drivers emitting hundreds of warnings and errors because dozens of things
> were changed and no one cared to update everything they broke.  In some
> cases, fixing things may be simple (eg. someone removed or renamed a field
> in a struct somewhere) and in others years of work my be required (eg.
> the new module interface.)
>
> In my opinion (as it was in the long long ago), everything in a "stable"
> release should at least compile cleanly -- "working" comes later after
> users have been conned into using it.

No.  Doing this hides bugs.

We use the compiler to make bugs and needing-work areas blindingly
obviously.  Your suggesting we make them less so.

	Jeff

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 18:09     ` Ricky Beam
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Ricky Beam @ 2003-05-27 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-05-27 17:53       ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2003-05-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 May 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> Architectures are also normally just a sync up job and its again easier
> to do once the core has stoppee changing.

Indeed. I think its more the rule than the exception that non-x86
architectures "get with the program" sometime during the stable release
rather than before. There's just not a lot of incentive for the odd-ball
architectures to care before the fact.

Would I prefer to have everything fixed by 2.6.0 (or even the pre-2.6
kernels)? Sure, everybody would. But it's just a fact of life that we
won't see people who care about the issues before that happens.

In fact, judging by past performance, a lot of things won't get fixed
before the actual vendors have made _releases_ that use 2.6.x (and the
first ones inevitably will have 2.4.x as a fall-back: that's only prudent
and sane).

This is not just a core kernel issue - we've seen this with subsystems
like ext3 and ReiserFS: they were "finished' and "stable", but what made
them _really_ stable was a release or two on vendor kernels, and thousands
of users.

			Linus

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 17:26   ` Linus Torvalds
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2003-05-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ricky Beam wrote:

> Count up the number of drivers that haven't been updated to the current
> PCI, hotplug, and modules interfaces.

Tough. If people don't use them, they don't get supported. It's that easy.

The thing is, these things won't change before 2.6 (or at least a
pre-2.6). When 2.6.0 comes out, and somebody notices that they haven't
bothered to try the 2.5.x series, _then_ maybe some of those odd-ball
drivers get fixed.

Or not. Some of them may be literally due for retirement, with users just
running an old kernel on old hardware.

Btw, this is nothing new. It has _always_ been the case that a lot of
people didn't use the latest stable kernel until it was released, and then
they complained because the drivers they used weren't up to spec.

			Linus

* Re: Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27 16:58 ` Ricky Beam
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ricky Beam @ 2003-05-27 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>... to start the "pre-2.6" series ...

You're kidding, right?  2.5 is no where near ready to be called anything
like "2.6".  With an actual code freeze -- as in fix the shit that's broken,
non-functional, and/or incompletely implemented without adding any more
stuff or rebuilding entire subsystems as opposed to the standard Linus
"code freeze" that's much like a slushy in the 9th level of Hell (assuming
it gets there, it doesn't last long and really does no go) -- 2.5 is about
a year away from having the current code base fully functional and on it's
way to stable.

@ 2003-05-27 16:48     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-05-27 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Maw, 2003-05-27 at 18:26, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ricky Beam wrote:
> >
> > Count up the number of drivers that haven't been updated to the current
> > PCI, hotplug, and modules interfaces.
>
> Tough. If people don't use them, they don't get supported. It's that easy.

Its also a lot easier to update them once the core stops changing! There
are some things I worry about - the bio splitting has to be resolved,
IDE raid can't happen until that occurs and I'm also waiting for the IDE
taskfile stuff/bio splitting bits to resolve so I can merge a load of
IDE updates to make things like SII IDE and newer HPT chips work in
2.5.x/2.6

       [not found] <200305271012.h4RACbE04869@quatramaran.ens.fr>
@ 2003-05-27 10:15 ` Éric Brunet
From: Éric Brunet @ 2003-05-27 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  there's been too much delay between 69 and 70, but I was hoping to make
> 70 the last "Linus only" release before getting together with Andrew and
> figuring out how to start the "pre-2.6" series and more of a code slush.
Hello;

I need this to compile:

	Éric Brunet

--- linux-2.5.70/drivers/video/i810/i810.h.orig	2003-05-27 12:02:51.334162312 +0200
+++ linux-2.5.70/drivers/video/i810/i810.h	2003-05-27 12:10:33.283935272 +0200
@@ -203,8 +203,8 @@
 #define LOCKUP                      8

 struct gtt_data {
-	agp_memory *i810_fb_memory;
-	agp_memory *i810_cursor_memory;
+	struct agp_memory *i810_fb_memory;
+	struct agp_memory *i810_cursor_memory;
 };

 struct mode_registers {

* Linux 2.5.70
@ 2003-05-27  2:08 Linus Torvalds
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2003-05-27  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok,
 there's been too much delay between 69 and 70, but I was hoping to make
70 the last "Linus only" release before getting together with Andrew and
figuring out how to start the "pre-2.6" series and more of a code slush.

Whatever. Th eend result is a pretty big patch, although a lot of it is
due to fairly minor patches. But it's a _lot_ of fairly minor patches, as
can be seen from the changelog (also, the acorn drivers got moved around,
which always makes for big patches).

		Linus

Summary of changes from v2.5.69 to v2.5.70

<lkml001:vrfy.org>:
  o USB: usb-skeleton compile fix

<olof:austin.ibm.com>:
  o [TCP]: tcp_twkill leaves death row list in inconsistent state over
    tcp_timewait_kill

<philipp:void.at>:
  o USB: unusual_devs.h patch

<willschm:us.ibm.com>:
  o add #ifdef CONFIG_XMON around a XMON variable reference
  o ppc64: add spinlock to chrp_progress
  o ppc64: restore hex progress code

Adrian Bunk:
  o USB: kill the last occurances of usb_serial_get_by_minor
  o [NET]: wireless.c needs module.h

Alan Stern:
  o USB: uhci Interrupt Latency fix
  o USB: Addition to previous patch needed for PM UHCI

Alex Williamson:
  o ia64: fix GENERIC build
  o ia64: small ACPI fix
  o ia64: fix timer interrupts getting lost
  o ia64: interrupt fixes/cleanup

Alexander Viro:
  o seq_path(), /proc/mounts and /proc/swaps
  o seq_path() for /proc/pid/maps
  o O_DIRECT open() fix
  o TIOCCONS fix
  o cpqarray fixes
  o pg.c macroectomy
  o pg.c Lindent
  o pg.c macroectomy - part 2
  o pt.c macroectomy
  o pt.c Lindent
  o switch blk_register_area() to kobject
  o register_chrdev_region() cleanup
  o kobj_map
  o cdev-cidr, part 1
  o i_cdev/i_cindex

Alexey Kuznetsov:
  o [ACENIC]: Comment out netif_wake_queue from acenic watchdog

Andi Kleen:
  o [NET]: Clean up socket filter compat handling
  o x86-64 merge
  o Make ACPI compile again on 64bit/gcc 3.3

Andrew Morton:
  o [NET]: Remove duplicated alloc_skb debug check
  o generic subarchitecture for ia32
  o Fix .altinstructions linking failures
  o cpia driver __exit fix
  o fix OSS opl3sa2 compilation
  o misc fixes
  o mwave build fix
  o drm timer initialisation fix
  o slab: initialisation cleanup and oops fix
  o sysrq-S, sysrq-U cleanups
  o s/UPDATE_ATIME/update_atime/ cleanup
  o irqreturn_t for drivers/net/pcmcia
  o keyboard.c Fix CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ+PrintScreen
  o Don't use devfs names in disk_name()
  o devfs: API changes
  o remove partition_name()
  o switch most remaining drivers over to devfs_mk_bdev
  o dvbdev fixes
  o access_ok() race fix for 80386
  o hold i_sem on swapfiles
  o remove unnecessary PAE pgd set
  o account for slab reclaim in try_to_free_pages()
  o slab: additional debug checks
  o reduced overheads in fget/fput
  o allow i8042 interrupt sharing
  o select() speedup
  o Move security_d_instantiate hook calls
  o ext3 xattr handler for security modules
  o ext2 xattr handler for security modules
  o Change LSM hooks in setxattr
  o Work around include/linux/sunrpc/svc.h compilation
  o [netdrvr] remaining irqreturn_t changes
  o enable slab debugging for larger objects
  o Remove __verify_write leftovers
  o hrtimers: fix timer_create(2) && SIGEV_NONE
  o implement module_arch_cleanup() in all architectures
  o remove devfs_register
  o fix pnp_test_handler return
  o fat cluster search speedup
  o Fix for vma merging refcounting bug
  o Commented out printk causes change in program flow in
  o small cleanup for __rmqueue
  o export cpufreq_driver to fix oops in proc interface
  o Quota write transaction size fix
  o dquot_transfer() fix
  o Bump module ref during init
  o exit_mmap() TASK_SIZE fix
  o semop race fix
  o visws: fix penguin with sgi logo
  o fix for clusterd io_apics
  o provide user feedback for emergency sync and remount
  o copy_process return value fix
  o de_thread memory corruption fix
  o vmalloc race fix
  o Reserve the ext2/ext3 EAs for the Lustre filesystem
  o Fix arch/i386/oprofile/init.c build error
  o Fix ext3 htree / NFS compatibility problems
  o htree nfs fix
  o ext3: htree memory leak fix
  o [NET]: netif_receive_skb() warning fix
  o [ATM]: Fix macro pasting in HE driver
  o USB: net2280 writel fix
  o [NET]: Fix sb1000.c build
  o ipmi warning fixes
  o sound/core comparison fix
  o pass the stack protection flags into put_dirty_page()
  o fix hugetlbpage scoping
  o DAC960 typedef cleanup patch
  o loop.c warning removal
  o mtrr warning fix
  o SMI clearing fix
  o Make debugging variant of spinlocks a bit more robust
  o fix lots of error-path memory leaks
  o miropcm20-rds.c build fix
  o synclink_cs update
  o remove some cruft from smp.h
  o >llseek returns loff_t, even for /dev/mem
  o visws: fix for generic-subarch
  o fix bug in drivers/net/cs89x0.c:set_mac_address()
  o Allow architecture to overwrite stack flags
  o [CRYPTO]: Fix memcpy/memset args
  o sysfs_create_link() fix
  o ia32 subarch circular dependency fix
  o genarch cpu_mask_to_apicid fix
  o [patch 4/29 voyager cpu_callout_map fix
  o ppp warning fix
  o misc fixes
  o large-dma_addr_t-PAE-only.patch
  o 3c59x irqreturn fix
  o reiserfs: allow multiple block insertion into the tree
  o reiserfs: reiserfs_file_write implementation
  o fix CONFIG_APM=m
  o Fix for latent bug in vmtruncate()
  o v4l: #1 - video-buf update
  o v4l: #2 - v4l1-compat update
  o v4l: #4 - bttv docmentation update
  o v4l: #5 - i2c module updates
  o v4l: #6 - tuner module update
  o v4l: #7 - saa7134 driver update
  o fix tuner.c and tda9887.c
  o radeonfb.c 64-bit fixes
  o use %p to print pointers in cs4281
  o memcpy/memset fixes
  o BUG() -> BUG_ON() conversions
  o 3c59x: add support for 3c905B-T4, 3C920B-EMB-WNM
  o CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP compile fix
  o fix handling of spares physical APIC ids
  o put_page_testzero() fix
  o DAC960 oops fix
  o apply_alternatives() fix
  o sound/core/memalloc.c needs mm.h
  o revert sysfs non-fix
  o ppc64 update for do_fork() change
  o shrink_all_memory() fix
  o ppc64: 32/64bit emulation for aio
  o ppc64: Fix some PPC64 compile warnings
  o ppc64: PPC64 irq return fix
  o ppc64: Squash warning in ppc64 addnote tool
  o ppc64: Squash implicit declaration warning in ppc64
  o ppc64: do_signal32 warning fix
  o ppc64: Squash warning in ppc64 xics.c
  o ppc64: Unused variables in ppc64 prom.c
  o ppc64: build fix
  o ppc64: ioctl32 warning fix
  o ppc64: nail warnings in arch/ppc64/kernel/setup.c
  o ppc64: arch/ppc64/kernel/traps.c warning fixes
  o ppc64: more warning fixes
  o tty_io warning fix
  o siocdevprivate_ioctl warning fix
  o arch/i386/kernel/mpparse.c warning fixes
  o Fix dcache_lock/tasklist_lock ranking bug
  o APM does unsafe conditional set_cpus_allowed
  o reiserfs: inode attributes support
  o xirc2ps_cs irq return fix
  o Fix readdir error return value
  o Don't remove inode from hash until filesystem has
  o slab: account for reclaimable caches
  o mark shrinkable slabs as being reclaimable
  o Process Attribute API for Security Modules
  o Process Attribute API for Security Modules (fixlet)
  o /proc/pid inode security labels
  o CONFIG_FUTEX
  o CONFIG_EPOLL
  o devpts xattr handler for security labels
  o overcommit root margin
  o net/sunrpc/sunrpc_syms.c typo fix
  o add notify_count for de_thread
  o extend-check_valid_hugepage_range.patch
  o misc fixes
  o Documentation for disk iostats
  o Remove floating point use in cpia.c
  o rd.c: separate queue per disk
  o Better fix for ia32 subarch circular dependencies
  o fix drivers/net/ewrk.c memory leak
  o fix init/do_mounts_rd.c memory leak
  o two PNP memory leaks
  o Change mmu_gathers into per-cpu data
  o arch/i386/kernel/srat.c cast warning fix
  o ACPI constant overflow fixes
  o tulip warning fix
  o use update_mmu_cache() in install_page

Andries E. Brouwer:
  o namespace fix
  o NCR5380.c fix
  o fix oops in namespace.c
  o [NET]: Use ARRAY_SIZE where appropriate
  o namespace.c fix
  o change get_sb prototype
  o kill lvm from parisc
  o kill lvm from x86_64
  o some typos
  o kill ide-geometry
  o kill lvm from compat_ioctl.h

Andy Grover:
  o ACPI: Update to 20030424
  o ACPI: kobject fix (Greg KH) Here's a small patch that fixes the
    logic of the kobject creation and registration in the acpi code
    (since we use kobject_init(), we need to use kobject_add(), not
    kobject_register() to add the kobject to the kernel systems).
  o ACPI: Allow ":" in OS override string (Ducrot Bruno)
  o ACPI: Interpreter update to 20030509 Changed the subsystem
    initialization sequence to hold off installation of address space
    handlers until the hardware has been initialized and the system has
    entered ACPI mode.  This is because the installation of space
    handlers can cause _REG methods to be run.  Previously, the _REG
    methods could potentially be run before ACPI mode was enabled.
  o ACPI: Return only proper values (0 or 1) from our interrupt handler
    (Andrew Morton)
  o ACPI: Update Toshiba driver to 0.15 (John Belmonte)
  o ACPI: Do not reinit ACPI irq entry in ioapic (thanks to Stian
    Jordet)
  o ACPI: update to 20030522
  o ACPI: Allow multiple compatible IDs for PnP purposes

Anton Blanchard:
  o ppc64: add autofs ioctl and clean up a prototype
  o ppc64: xics cleanup
  o ppc64: clean up some cpu feature checks
  o ppc64: fix NR_syscalls slip up
  o ppc64: fix for recent module changes
  o ppc64: return ENOSYS for unknown IPC call
  o ppc64: Fix for outside of range sensor states, from John Rose
  o ppc64: segment misses from userspace must pass through
    do_page_fault
  o ppc64: use panic_on_oops sysctl
  o ppc64: use dma-window from deepest device tree node, from Dave
    Engebretsen
  o ppc64: chrp_progress() updates from Olof Johansson
  o ppc64: ethtool -e support, from Olof Johansson
  o ppc64: update ppc64 to new IRQ API from Andrew Morton
  o ppc64: fix some compile warnings, from Andrew Morton
  o ppc64: Fix some things that got backed out in the systemcfg merge
  o ppc64: Add loop_get_status64/loop_set_status64
  o ppc64: Andrew Morton is picking on me
  o ppc64: remove numa_node_exists, from Martin Bligh
  o ppc64: clear up the cpu<-> node mappings, and cache them, from Matt
    Dobson
  o ppc64: remove iomem_resource.end hack
  o Re: Make sym2 driver use pci_enable_device
  o ppc64: ioctl32 updates
  o ppc64: rework fast SLB miss handler castout code
  o ppc64: firmware flash fix from Olof Johansson
  o USB: gadget compile error on ppc64

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo:
  o ipx headers: Coding Style code reformatting
  o list.h: implement list_for_each_entry_safe
  o ipx: convert ipx_interface handling to use list_head
  o ipx: convert ipx_route to use list_head
  o ipx: ipx_interfaces outlives struct sock/socket
  o wanrouter: add missing include module.h
  o [IPV4/IPV6]: Consolidate saddr resetting into inet_reset_saddr()
  o ipv4/ipv6: use ipv6_addr_copy where appropriate
  o ipv4/ipv6: call tcp_timewait_kill in tcp_tw_deschedule
  o af_netlink: netlink_proto_init has to be core_initcall
  o wanrouter: don't use typedefs for wan_device, just struct
    wan_device
  o wanrouter: kill netdevice_t, do as all the rest of the tree, use
    struct net_device
  o wan/cycx: typedef cleanup
  o wan/cycx: fix module refcounting, removing
    MOD_{INC,DEC}_USE_COUNT
  o wan/cycx: further cleanups
  o wan/cycx: remove more typedefs
  o wan/cycx: remove the last typedefs, some kernel doc comments
  o wan/cycx: use min_t and remove one more private MIN()
    implementation
  o ipx: remove debug message for successfull bind
  o ipx: move route functions to net/ipx/ipx_route.c
  o ipv6/route: fix .dst.metrics struct init for ip6_null_entry
  o ipv6/route: use C99 style init for struct init
  o ipv6/addrconf: use C99 struct init style for
    inet6_rtnetlink_table
  o ipv6/exthdrs: use C99 struct init style
  o ipv6/icmp: use C99 struct style init for tab_unreach
  o ipv6/ip6_fib: use C99 struct style init and move rt_sernum to
    .bss
  o wanrouter/wanproc: code cleanups
  o drivers/net/wan/sdla*: use SET_MODULE_OWNER at net_device setup
  o sock.h: kernel-doc style comment for struct sock
  o wan/cycx: remove unneeded ioctl stub and fix namespace
  o wanrouter/wanmain: fix namespace, fixing the current problem with
    device_shutdown
  o icmp: cleanups, use C99 array init style, etc

Arun Sharma:
  o ia64: make x86 shared programs work again
  o ia64: fix ia32 emulation of rlimit et al
  o ia64: fix sys32_select()

Bart De Schuymer:
  o [BRIDGE]: Change pkt_type to PACKET_HOST earlier
  o [BRIDGE]: Deal with non-linear SKBs in ebtables

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz:
  o fix lost IDE interrupt problem
  o Fix incorrect enablebits for all AMD and nVidia IDE chipsets
  o Add IDE support for VIA vt8237 southbridge
  o Intel ICH5 basic SATA support
  o misc AMD IDE driver fixes
  o add hwif->hold flag
  o SiS IDE driver fixes
  o ServerWorks IDE driver update
  o add hwif->rw_disk callout
  o _IDE_C cleanup
  o IDE: fix "biostimings" and legacy chipsets' boot parameters
    interaction
  o Probe legacy IDE chipsets in ide_init() instead of in ide_setup()

Ben Collins:
  o USB: Happ UGCI added as BADPAD for workaround
  o Update IEEE1394 (r931)
  o A few more strlcpy's for drivers/base/
  o sound/* strncpy conversion
  o fs/* conversions for strlcpy
  o do_mounts.c strlcpy
  o Fix snd_seq_queue_find_name()
  o kernel/* strlcpy conversion
  o [NET]: strncpy -> strlcpy conversions
  o arch/* strlcpy conversion
  o drivers/* strlcpy conversions

Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
  o [SUNGEM]: Updates from PowerPC people
  o drivers/ide/ppc/pmac.c compile fix

Bjorn Helgaas:
  o ia64: sba_iommu workaround removal
  o ia64: sba_iommu vendor/function for unknown IOCs
  o ia64: sba_iommu trivial cleanup
  o ia64: multi-ioport space support
  o ia64: multi-ioport space support (part 2 of 4)
  o ia64: multi-ioport space support (part 3 of 4)
  o ia64: multi-ioport space support (part 3 of 4)
  o ia64: new IOC recognition
  o ia64: vendor-specific ACPI resource cleanup

Brian Gerst:
  o Fix ioperm bitmap
  o remove fake_sep_struct

Charles Fumuso:
  o [XFS] Merge over an irix fix

Chas Williams:
  o [ATM]: Fix excessive stack usage in iphase driver
  o [ATM]: svcs possible race with sigd
  o [ATM]: Fix foul up in lec driver
  o [ATM]: Add Forerunner HE support
  o [ATM]: Forward port br2864 to 2.5.x
  o [ATM]: Clip locking and more atmvcc cleanup
  o [ATM]: assorted atm patches
  o [ATM] remove iovcnt from atm_skb skbs has (and has had for a while)
    scatter/gather support making the scatter gather in atm redundant.
    the current iovcnt schme really isnt being used anyway typically.
    the atm layer will need a little more work in the future to take
    advantage of the skb scatter/gather support.  this patch removes
    the iovcnt dependencies and gets the check for non linear skbs
    right.
  o [ATM]: Kill stray ATM_PDU_OVHD reference in lec.c
  o [ATM]: Make he driver code more palatable
  o [ATM]: HE and IPHASE driver fixes
  o [ATM]: Make clip modular
  o [ATM]: Fix module handling in USB speedtouch driver
  o [ATM]: Add refcounting to atmdev
  o [ATM]: Allow ATM to be loaded as a module
  o [ATM]: Fix modular CLIP
  o [ATM]: Need to use try_module_get not __module_get

Chris Wright:
  o [RXRPC]: Put file_operations THIS_OWNER in correct place

Christoph Hellwig:
  o split private and public scsi headers
  o kill scsi_dump_status
  o kill pcmcia driver bind_info horror
  o use scsi_report_bus_reset() in scsi_erroc.c
  o fix scsi_debug compile warning
  o remove dead struct scsi_device members
  o remove dead scsi_cmnd members
  o scsi_requeuest_fn
  o move max_sectors intitalization fully to scsi_register
  o Re: unchecked_isa_dma on sparcv9
  o nuke some superflous externs
  o update NCR_D700 for new-style probing
  o remove scsi_device proc printing from drivers
  o move all host templates into .c files
  o remove scsi_slave_attach/scsi_slave_detach
  o first batch of shost sysfs fixes
  o rationalize scsi_queue_next & friends
  o [SLIP]: Move over to initcalls
  o [NET]: Switch x25_asy over to initcalls
  o some warning fixes
  o fix the aacraid merge a bit more
  o scsi_report_device_reset
  o consolidate devlist handling in a single file
  o switch sb1000 to new style net init & pnp
  o two more templates in headers
  o [XFS] merge Steve's sync changes over to 2.5
  o [XFS] avoid sleep_on in the sync code
  o [XFS] Fix compile warning on my iBook
  o [XFS] simplify memory allocation code big time
  o [XFS] Use __GFP_NORETRY in pagebuf readahead code
  o [NET]: Fix dev_load for !CONFIG_KMOD
  o [NET]: Switch comx over to initcalls
  o do_fork updates for ppc
  o [NET]: Clean up the divert ifdef mess
  o [NET]: Make dv_init an initcall
  o [NET]: Switch arcnet over to initcalls
  o [NET]: Convert madgemc to initcalls
  o make vt_ioctl ix86isms explicit
  o wireless pcmcia updates

Chuck Lever:
  o the recently-applied patch to fix the rpc_show_tasks() Oops is
    incomplete

Corey Minyard:
  o IPMI update

Daniel McNeil:
  o [IPV6]: Missing kmem_cache_destroy calls

Dave Jones:
  o [CPUFREQ] Fix powernow-k7 hang
  o [AGPGART] Hammer GART can use generic enable routines now
  o [AGPGART] intel agp init cleanups
  o [AGPGART] Remove unneeded enums from intel gart driver
  o [AGPGART] Remove unused ALi enums
  o [AGPGART] Remove stale comment
  o [AGPGART] Fix typo in via-agp. s/PM400/P4M400/
  o [AGPGART] Remove useless enums from serverworks gart driver
  o [AGPGART] Remove unneeded enums from AMD k7 gart driver
  o [AGPGART] More setup routine -> static struct conversions
  o [AGPGART] Replace enum users with own methods
  o [AGPGART] Merge NVIDIA nForce / nForce2 AGP driver
  o [AGPGART] Makefile cleanups
  o [AGPGART] Remove unneeded settings of bridge->type
  o [AGPGART] Add symbolic constants for AGP mode setting
  o [AGPGART] Add more defines to kill off hardcoded values
  o [AGPGART] Don't configure agp bridges more than once if there is >1
    of them
  o [AGPGART] use symbols instead of hardcoded values in generic-3.0
    Lots more work to do here.
  o [AGPGART] Convert several functions to return void
  o [AGPGART] Fall back to non-isochronous xfers if setting up
    isochronous xfers fails
  o [AGPGART] Fix typo that stopped nvidia GART driver being built
  o [AGPGART] EXPORT_SYMBOL cleanups. Also move the global_cache_flush
    routine to generic.c
  o [AGPGART] Move function description comments from headers to the
    code they document
  o [AGPGART] kdoc'ify some of the function header comments
  o [AGPGART] Move function prototypes to headers
  o [AGPGART] Misc backend source tidy up
  o [AGPGART] Remove semaphore abstraction
  o [AGPGART] i855PM support from Bill Nottingham
  o [AGPGART] Fix kconfig dependancies
  o [AGPGART] fix macros that expect agp_bridge in global scope From
    Christoph Hellwig
  o [AGPGART] cleanup agp backend.c a bit More from Christoph.
  o [AGPGART] Nvidia GART cleanups
  o [AGPGART] Add back dummy module exit to keep things happy
  o [AGPGART] don't dereference agp_bridge in generic-3.0.c Yet more
    from Christoph..
  o [AGPGART] give all agpgart drivers a ->remove pci method
  o [AGPGART] proper agp_bridge_driver
  o [AGPGART] Fix Kconfig typo
  o [AGPGART] Shrink chipset_type enum (compile fix) Missing part of
    hch's last cset.
  o [AGPGART] Fix linking error
  o [CPUFREQ] Acer Aspire's have broken PST tables in one BIOS rev. DMI
    blacklist it
  o [AGPGART] Add some debugging printk's. Based on Linus' earlier
    patch
  o [CPUFREQ] Remove not needed ;'s from macro definitions
  o [AGPGART] Bulletproofing. NULL ptrs after freeing them
  o [AGPGART] Remove duplicate code in i810/i830 alloc_by_type
    functions
  o [AGPGART] Fix incorrect type warning
  o [AGPGART] Move debugging macros to header so they can be used in
    other parts of agpgart
  o [AGPGART] more kconfig cleanups
  o [AGPGART] Kill off some typedefs
  o [AGPGART] missing %p in debug printk
  o [AGPGART] Turn on debugging printks for a while
  o [AGPGART] Intel I875P support
  o [AGPGART] Disable debugging printk's again
  o [AGPGART] Skip devices with no AGP headers sooner
  o [AGPGART] Store agp revision in agp_bridge struct
  o [AGPGART] Work around AMD 8151 errata
  o [AGPGART] Only enable isochronous transfers on AGP3.5 chipsets
  o [AGPGART] Remove unneeded exports
  o [AGPGART] Remove duplicate copying of ->chipset in agp_copy_info()
  o [AGPGART] death of generic-3.0.c  = folded into generic.c
  o [AGPGART] Add proper AGP3 initialisation routine
  o [AGPGART] Make sure we don't poke reserved bits when enabling agp
    v3
  o [AGPGART] Add missing #defines from last checkin
  o [AGPGART] Use symbolic defines for isoch registers in isoch code
  o [AGPGART] CodingStyle nitpicks for isoch.c
  o [AGPGART] Make the agp 3.5 use the agp3 code for enabling, leaving
    just the isoch stuff in isoch.c
  o [AGPGART] add checks to agp_copy_info() before dereferencing
  o [DRM] Intel i8xx DRM modules are dependant on their AGP
    counterparts
  o [CPUFREQ] missing export compile fix for powernow-k7
  o [AGPGART] PPC Uninorth support
  o [AGPGART] Move AGP PM to individual drivers
  o [AGPGART] Add printk's to error paths of agp_add_bridge
  o [AGPGART] Remove duplicated masking routines, replace with
    agp_generic_mask_memory()
  o [AGPGART] Whitespace/CodingStyle cleanups
  o [NETROM]: Fix netdevice leak, from 2.4.x
  o Fix types on inflate.c constants
  o Preemption fixes for x86 MSR driver
  o Avoid ide-scsi from starting DMA too soon
  o i8253 locking
  o sx memleak
  o Fix ISDN return types
  o Fix standards compliance bugs in the tty layer
  o pcwatchdog firmware memory leak
  o iphase fix
  o ASUS P4B SMBus quirks
  o typo
  o Fix pnpbios switch
  o copy_to_user check for sgiserial
  o fix module-init-tools ver_linux problem
  o Shorten rcu_check_quiescent_state
  o byte counters for mkiss
  o shorten rclan debug output
  o i810 no codec fix
  o shrink zonelists
  o [AGPGART] pci_driver structures must remain valid while they are
    registered
  o [AGPGART] nForce driver needs its own insert/remove routines
  o [AGPGART] Fix oops in VIA initialisation
  o [AGPGART] Add support for VIA K8T400M GART
  o [AGPGART] Improve Kconfig
  o [AGPGART] agp_3_5_enable() doesn't need mode parameter
  o [AGPGART] Sanity check (and fix up broken) AGP modes when in AGP
    3.0 mode
  o [AGPGART] Log broken applications that pass crap flags so they can
    be fixed
  o [AGPGART] Skip nonisoch setup if isoch setup was successful
  o [AGPGART] Silly typo that put tried to put things into a impossible
    x16 mode
  o [AGPGART] PPC compile fix
  o [AGPGART] Remove duplicated fast writes test
  o [AGPGART] sanity check printk's
  o [AGPGART] Rid AGP/DRM of more typedefs
  o [AGPGART] Make alpha AGP work again
  o Nuke stale comment from bmac
  o Age old cs89x0 register define 'fixes' ?
  o fix tlan 64bit check
  o xircom init cleanups
  o 3c505 printk levels
  o hamachi PCI DMA fix from 2.4
  o au1000 init cleanups

David Brownell:
  o USB: ehci i/o watchdog
  o USB Gadget API (1/6)
  o Net2280 driver (2/6)
  o USB "Gadget Zero" driver (3/6)
  o USB Ethernet Gadget (4/6)
  o USB Gadget string utility (5/6)
  o kbuild/kbuild for USB Gadgets (6/6)
  o USB: gadget cleanup of #ifdefs
  o USB: gadget zero, loopback config fix
  o USB gadget: net2280: dmachain off, zlp pio ok
  o more kbuild tweaks]
  o Fix big-endian USB gadget build
  o USB: rm debug printks in ehci and ohci
  o USB: fix for multiple definition of `usb_gadget_get_string'
  o USB: net2280 minor updates
  o USB: net2280, PPC fixes
  o USB: usbtest, talk to user mode "firmware"
  o USB: Fix machine lockup when unloading HC driver
  o USB: Fix machine lockup when unloading HC driver (part 2)
  o USB: SMP ehci-q.c 1010 BUG()
  o USB: disable usb device endpoints in more places
  o USB: bugfix endpoint state
  o USB: net2280, control requests can be deferred

David Jeffery:
  o ips 2.5 driver update [1/4] irq return update
  o ips 2.5 driver update [2/4] missing kfree and static init s
  o ips 2.5 driver update [3/4]: misc cleanups
  o ips 2.5 driver update [4/4]: use dev_printk

David Mosberger:
  o ia64: Fix typos/whitespace related to serial code
  o ia64: Patch by Alex Williamson: forward port of the 2.4 sba_iommu
  o ia64: Merge Alex Williamson's sba_iommu patch
  o ia64: Make sba_iommu get detected early enough again
  o ia64: Update platform INIT handler to print a backtrace
  o ia64: Export hp_acpi_csr_space() for modules
  o ia64: Consolidate backtrace printing in a single routine
    (ia64_do_show_stack())
  o ia64: Fix _raw_read_lock() to not switch text sections.  Tidy it up
    with the help of ia64_fetchadd() macro.  Ditto for
    _raw_read_unlock().
  o ia64: Patch by Arun Sharma: In brl_emu.c, a 64 bit value was being
    assigned to an int.
  o ia64: Improve spinlock code to handle contention in shared routine
    called with a special convention.  Various minor fixes for
    gcc-pre3.4.
  o ia64: Manual merge of Steve's spelling fixes
  o ia64: Manual merge of Bjorn Helgaas' sba_iommu patch to make it use
    seq_file
  o mca.c
  o ia64: Patch from Asit K. Mallick: fix a few places where
    last_fph_cpu wasn't updated and one place in the sigreturn path
    where the fph-owner wasn't set.
  o ia64: Prepare for GCC v3.4.  Sync with 2.5.69
  o ia64: Patch by John Marvin: Add virtual mem-map support
  o Add ia64 relocation types to elf.h and clean up

David S. Miller:
  o [NET]: Use dump_stack in neigh_destroy
  o [NET]: Fix typo in previous neighbour.c change
  o [ATM]: mpc.c warning fixes
  o [NETFILTER IPV6]: Fix warnings
  o USB speedtouch fix
  o [IPSEC]: Fix SADB_EALG_{3,}DESCBC values
  o [ATM]: Fix some CPP pasting in ambassador driver
  o [NETFILTER]: ip_nat_proto_{icmp,udp}.c need ip_nat_core.h
  o [IPV6]: Kill spurious module_{get,put}()
  o [BLUETOOTH]: Fix hci_usb build
  o [SPARC64]: Only use power interrupt when button property exists
  o [IPV6]: Remove illogical bug check in fib6_del
  o [IPV4/IPV6]: Set owner field in family ops
  o [ATM]: Fix build of HE driver
  o [IPV4]: Use time_{before,after}() and proper jiffies types in
    route.c
  o [IPV4]: Two minor errors in jiffies changes
  o [PKT_SCHED]: Kill iovcnt reference from sch_atm.c
  o [IPV4]: Fix expiration test in rt_check_expire
  o [MPLS]: Add ethernet protocol numbers
  o [NETFILTER]: Fix icmp_reply_translation args
  o [MPLS]: Add MPLS support to PPP
  o [SKFDDI]: Use SET_MODULE_OWNER
  o [IPV6]: Pass route attributes all the way down
  o [NETFILTER]: Fix ip_nat_core.c:manip_pkt return value checks
  o [XFRM]: Fix typos in xfrm_state_put() changes
  o [TCP]: NULL out newsk->owner in tcp_create_openreq_child()
  o [VLAN]: vlanproc.c needs module.h
  o [IPV4/IPV6]; Missing schedule_net() in inet{,6}_del_protocol
  o [NETFILTER]: Fix stale skb data pointer usage in ipv4 NAT
  o [IPV6]: Missing sk->family check in UDPv6 multicast handling
  o [BRLOCK]: Kill stray brlock.h references in sparc/sparc64 headers
  o [IPV6]: Fix two bugs in ip6_append_data changes
  o [NETFILTER]: ip_ct_gather_frags no longer needs to linearize
  o [PKT_SCHED]: sch_ingress.c does not need to linearize SKBs
  o [NETFILTER]: Teach ip_fw_compat and modules to handle non-linear
    SKBs
  o [IPV6]: Check output fragmentation using dst_pmtu not dev->mtu
  o [AIC7XXX]: Only build in biosparam function if actually used
  o [IPV6]: Fix ipv6_addr_copy warning in ah6.c
  o [SPARC64]: Update defconfig
  o [AF_KEY]: Force km.state to XFRM_STATE_DEAD in pfkey_msg2xfrm_state
  o [RTNETLINK]: extern __inline__ --> static inline
  o [TCP]: extern __inline__ --> static inline where appropriate
  o [IPV6]: extern __inline__ --> static inline
  o [IPV4]: Fix ip_finish_output extern decl
  o [AX25]: extern inline --> static inline
  o [NET]: dev_load extern inline --> static inline
  o [APPLETALK]: extern inline --> static inline
  o [PKT_SCHED]: extern inline --> static inline
  o [AF_UNIX]: extern inline --> static inline
  o [SUNHME]: Use PCI config space if hm-rev property does not exist
  o [NET]: Split out policy flow cache to be a generic facility
  o [ATM]: common.c needs linux/init.h
  o [ATM]: atm{pvc,svc}_exit cannot be __exit
  o [NET]: Regenerate flow cache hash rnd more sanely
  o [NET]: Hoplimit is a metric not a route attribute
  o [IPV4]: Respect hoplimit route metric
  o [NETFILTER]: Move skb_ip_make_writable symbol export
  o [IPV4]: Flush routing cache on sysctl_ip_default_ttl changes
  o [SPARC{32,64}]: Adjust for changed do_fork return value
  o [NET]: Fix netdevice unregister races
  o [NET]: More device register/unregister fixing
  o [NET]: Fix sock_fprog setsockopt compat handling.  Based upon patch
    from Andi Kleen
  o [NET]: Comment typo in net/core/dev.c, thanks akpm
  o [IPV4]: Fix route copying during redirects
  o [NET]: Use irqreturn_t in acenic driver
  o [NET]: Fix build warning in ns83820 driver
  o [NET]: Fix typo in ns83820 sysfs changes
  o [ATM]: Fix build after netdev sysfs changes
  o [NETFILTER]: Use proper printf format for size_t in ipt_owner.c
  o [NETFILTER]: Update ipt_physdev.c for match arg changes
  o [IPV6]: DST entry leak found by stanford checker
  o [IPV6]: Memory leak found by stanford checker
  o [NET]: In dst_alloc, do not assume layout of atomic_t
  o [IPV6]: Dont store pointers to in6_addrs in struct flowi
  o [IPV4]: Fix fib_hash performance problems with huge route tables
  o [NET]: Zap non-netdevice usage of SET_MODULE_OWNER
  o [TCP]: Move TCP_TWKILL_foo macro definitions into tcp_minisocks.c
  o [NET]: Kill SMP_TIMER_* users
  o [TIMERS]: No more SMP_TIMER_* users, kill it
  o [SPARC64]: Offer isdn/irda/telephony config options
  o [IRDA]: Protect IDA dma stuff with CONFIG_ISA
  o [SPARC64]: Update defconfig
  o [NET]: Invoke netdev_unregister_sysfs() outside of RTNL semaphore
  o [IPV4]: Use get_order instead of reimplementation
  o [FUTEX]: Fix kernel/compat.c after requeueing futex changes
  o [FUTEX]: Fix kernel/futex.c warning on 64-bit

Dean Gaudet:
  o better ali1563 integrated ethernet support

Douglas Gilbert:
  o blk SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND

Duncan Sands:
  o USB speedtouch: replace yield()
  o USB speedtouch: add defensive memory barriers
  o USB speedtouch: remove stale code
  o USB speedtouch: spin_lock_irqsave -> spin_lock_irq in process