* recompiling RH9 with SCSI driver
@ 2003-06-06  0:36 Daniel Sheltraw
From: Daniel Sheltraw @ 2003-06-06  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello kernel list

I knowm this is not really a kernel problem but I have been unable
to get this problem solved on other lists. I am having trouble
building a new 2.4.20 kernel on a machine running RedHat9 and
it appears that the problem has something to do with the mptbase
module (scsi module?).

The machine is a Dell Precision 350 machine and lspci tells me this
about my SCSI controller:

02:07.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 (rev 07)
02:07.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 (rev 07)

I am trying to recompile my kernel but after when doing a "make install"
I get the folloeing error message:

sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-rthal5 bzImage /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-rthal5 bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/System.map ''
No module mptbase found for kernel 2.4.20-rthal5
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

There does not exist a /lib/modules directory for my new modules
and it looks like "make install" can't find the mptbase driver.
Does any one know how to fix this?

Thanks a bunch,
Daniel

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: recompiling RH9 with SCSI driver
@ 2003-06-06 14:52 ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-06-06 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Sheltraw; +Cc: linux-kernel

Daniel Sheltraw wrote:

>Hello kernel list
>
>I knowm this is not really a kernel problem but I have been unable
>to get this problem solved on other lists. I am having trouble
>building a new 2.4.20 kernel on a machine running RedHat9 and
>it appears that the problem has something to do with the mptbase
>module (scsi module?).
>
>The machine is a Dell Precision 350 machine and lspci tells me this
>about my SCSI controller:
>
>02:07.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 (rev 07)
>02:07.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 (rev 07)
>

>I am trying to recompile my kernel but after when doing a "make install"
>I get the folloeing error message:
>
>sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-rthal5 bzImage /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/System.map ""
>+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
>+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
>+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-rthal5 bzImage
>/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/System.map ''
>No module mptbase found for kernel 2.4.20-rthal5
>mkinitrd failed
>make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot'
>make: *** [install] Error 2
>
>There does not exist a /lib/modules directory for my new modules
>and it looks like "make install" can't find the mptbase driver.
>Does any one know how to fix this?

   You likely have the mpt module referenced in your /etc/modules.conf.
Likely this is something like a scsi_hostadapter alias.  When the
install script attempts to create an initrd it fails as it can't find
the module in question.  This could be caused by one of several things.

1)You didn't compile support for the mpt driver at all.
2)You compiled the driver into the kernel instead of as a module.

  In the case of #2 commenting out the alias in modules.conf should
"fix" your issue.  (Of course new kernel's from your vendor won't know
to load the driver.)  Or you could just manually install the kernel.  In
the case of #2 you really need to compile the mpt driver.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.