On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 07:57, ahorn@deorth.org wrote: [snip] > I'm still not seeing any evidence of anyone being blocked from obtaining > the source code (although I haven't followed the whole thread) From what I gathered, people were irritated because Dell only supplied a patch of what modifications they had made, against a known RedHat kernel. IANAL, but I think they have matched what the GPL required them to by doing so. There is a relatively easy way to recreate exactly what they did. A correctly worded request to the right place inside Dell should perhaps even yield the SPM they used. > I repeat, did anyone ask dell for source code for this supposed violation? > They are not bound to _distribute_ the source code with their software > only to make it available in a reasonable fashion upon request. It was not clear, but it appeared that the source was not asked for. There was a whole lot of complaining that it wasn't distributed without being asked for though. > Or am I missing something here ? > > (not being argumentative here by the way, this is really interesting > discussion) It is interesting, but it would be nice to have a professional legal opinion on the matter. /A