* 2.5.72 insmod question
@ 2003-07-18  0:35 yiding_wang
From: yiding_wang @ 2003-07-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I completed a fibre channel driver change to support for 2.5.72 (suppose to be 2.6 compatible) and compiled it OK.  When trying load the driver with "insmod", it complains with the message "insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented".

I tried kernel built module qla1280.o and got the same result.  It seems the insmod utility in my system is not compatible with new 2.5.72 built module.

I have 2.4.20-8 kernel installed first and driver loads and runs fine.  Later added 2.5.72 kernel and booted with its bzImage works fine too.  However, the insmod utility I am using to load new driver was from 2.4.20-8 which has system_query_module() being called.  I checked Doc. and source code for 2.5.72 and could not find same function call in module.c

Some web documents mentioned that the module installation is changed from 2.4.x to 2.5.x.  So far I am still looking for the solution and hope someone can help me on the issue.

I am compiling the driver out side of kernel source tree but using kernel environmental variables for compatibility.

Regards,

Eddie

* Re: 2.5.72 insmod question
@ 2003-07-18  0:47 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-07-18  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yiding_wang; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I completed a fibre channel driver change to support for 2.5.72 (suppose to
> be 2.6 compatible) and compiled it OK.  When trying load the driver with
> "insmod", it complains with the message "insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not
> implemented".
>
> I tried kernel built module qla1280.o and got the same result.  It seems the
> insmod utility in my system is not compatible with new 2.5.72 built module.
>
> I have 2.4.20-8 kernel installed first and driver loads and runs fine.
> Later added 2.5.72 kernel and booted with its bzImage works fine too.
> However, the insmod utility I am using to load new driver was from 2.4.20-8
> which has system_query_module() being called.  I checked Doc. and source
> code for 2.5.72 and could not find same function call in module.c
>
> Some web documents mentioned that the module installation is changed from
> 2.4.x to 2.5.x.  So far I am still looking for the solution and hope someone
> can help me on the issue.
>
> I am compiling the driver out side of kernel source tree but using kernel
> environmental variables for compatibility.

You need to use the 2.5/2.6 module-init-tools from
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

modutils from 2.4 won't work with 2.5/2.6.

And you probably should read over the 2.6 migration document:
  http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt

~Randy

* Re: 2.5.72 insmod question
@ 2003-07-18  9:59 ` Cesar Suga
From: Cesar Suga @ 2003-07-18  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yiding_wang; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 21:35, yiding_wang@agilent.com wrote:

	Hello,

	Install the 'module-init-tools' package, from:

	ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

	This is required for the new series of kernels, starting with 2.5.50 (I
think), 2.5.72 certainly requires it.

	Cheers,
	Cesar Suga <sartre@linuxbr.com>

> I completed a fibre channel driver change to support for 2.5.72 (suppose to be 2.6 compatible) and compiled it OK.  When trying load the driver with "insmod", it complains with the message "insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented".
>
> I tried kernel built module qla1280.o and got the same result.  It seems the insmod utility in my system is not compatible with new 2.5.72 built module.
>
> I have 2.4.20-8 kernel installed first and driver loads and runs fine.  Later added 2.5.72 kernel and booted with its bzImage works fine too.  However, the insmod utility I am using to load new driver was from 2.4.20-8 which has system_query_module() being called.  I checked Doc. and source code for 2.5.72 and could not find same function call in module.c
>
> Some web documents mentioned that the module installation is changed from 2.4.x to 2.5.x.  So far I am still looking for the solution and hope someone can help me on the issue.
>
> I am compiling the driver out side of kernel source tree but using kernel environmental variables for compatibility.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eddie
>

> -

* Re: 2.5.72 insmod question
@ 2003-07-18 11:50   ` Tomas Szepe
From: Tomas Szepe @ 2003-07-18 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kernel

> [rddunlap@osdl.org]
>
> And you probably should read over the 2.6 migration document:
>   http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt

Wouldn't it be a good idea to print a similar note during
"make *config" in the 2.6.0-test series?  I mean, this must
be the 80th or so post of its kind this week.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>

* Re: 2.5.72 insmod question
@ 2003-07-18 14:35     ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-07-18 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Szepe; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:50:45 +0200 Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com> wrote:

| > [rddunlap@osdl.org]
| >
| > And you probably should read over the 2.6 migration document:
| >   http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
|
| Wouldn't it be a good idea to print a similar note during
| "make *config" in the 2.6.0-test series?  I mean, this must
| be the 80th or so post of its kind this week.

Sure, that sounds good to me.  Some way to get that message to
the masses, since putting it in an email signature doesn't get
the message to the right people... :(

--
~Randy
For Linux-2.6:

@ 2003-07-18 22:53       ` Ronald Jerome
From: Ronald Jerome @ 2003-07-18 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rddunlap, linux-kernel

Well I would also mention for the Redhat users
especially redhat v9.0 users to grab the rawhide
versions of the updated modutils and mkinitrd.

Especially if they want to be able to boot kernels 2.4
and 2.5, 2.6 series

I had to reinstall redhat because the rusty mod-utils
alone did not allow the mkinitrd to work for 2.5
kernels.  Had soemone help me do some modification to
mkinitrd to geta good working initrd.

Anhow few things happened and I ended up reinstalling
my redhat v9.0 and this time installed the rawhide
rpm's modutils and mkinitrd.

http://sbc.yahoo.com