* More ACPI funnies in 2.6.0test1
@ 2003-07-20 15:13 Trever L. Adams
From: Trever L. Adams @ 2003-07-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alright, same board here, Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (nVidia nForce 2).  I have
pci=noacpi.  However, if I leave ACPI on, I get two funnies:

1) My disk seems to be more active, I hear it clicking much more
2) When eth0 gets shutdown on power off, it freezes.  However, I just
tried to force it by manually shutting it off and it works fine.

I will provide the sysrq output later today when I will have more paper
around to write down the output.

This box works fine with pci=noacpi and acpi=off.  So, I am just trying
to figure out how to get it to work fine with the power stuff working,
even if the irq related part is broken.  It would be nice to fix it all
actually.

Trever
--
"It was as true as taxes is. And nothing's truer than them." -- Charles
Dickens (1812-70)

* Re: More ACPI funnies in 2.6.0test1
@ 2003-07-20 15:20 ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2003-07-20 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"Trever L. Adams" <tadams-lists@myrealbox.com> writes:

> 1) My disk seems to be more active, I hear it clicking much more

Any chance this is due to increased logging activity to files that are
marked synchronous (with a -) in syslog.conf?

* Re: More ACPI funnies in 2.6.0test1
@ 2003-07-20 15:33   ` Trever L. Adams
From: Trever L. Adams @ 2003-07-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 11:20, Sean Neakums wrote:
> "Trever L. Adams" <tadams-lists@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
> > 1) My disk seems to be more active, I hear it clicking much more
>
> Any chance this is due to increased logging activity to files that are
> marked synchronous (with a -) in syslog.conf?

At least in /etc/syslog.conf on my RH9/RH Rawhide system there is no a-
anywhere in the syslog.conf.  Not only that, but I don't seem to have
much more logging going on, in fact maybe a bit less.  Exceptions:
smartd (which seems to only log about once an hour, so this isn't it)
and a few places where char 188 and char 10_133, I think it is, are not
found (just fixed this, and this doesn't happen much either).

Trever
--
I love dogs, but I hate Chihuahuas. A Chihuahua isn't a dog. It's a rat
with a thyroid problem. -- Unknown

* [NETWORKING] Re: More ACPI funnies in 2.6.0test1
@ 2003-07-20 21:02 ` Trever L. Adams
From: Trever L. Adams @ 2003-07-20 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I was mistaken.  ACPI has nothing to do with it.  I got an actual
oops on shutdown without it.  It was in the ip 6 routing code.  Attached
is a bunch of alt-sysrq-p from when it gets stuck trying to down eth0.
The program running at the time was ip... said something like ip 6 route
del in ps xa.  That was the program running.  The oopses were induced,
it is gzip because I have so many.  I will try to trigger the real oops
and show it here in this thread.

Actually, I will attach the log after I know that P and T in sysrq don't
leak passwords and such.  I am not entirely sure what is or isn't in
something like:

Jul 20 11:35:08 aurora kernel: spamd         S DBFB73FC 4278501676
2156      1          2165  2145 (NOTLB)
Jul 20 11:35:08 aurora kernel: daed9eb4 00000082 daed9f44 dbfb73fc
c0137e13 c110fa18 dbe8d300 00000000
Jul 20 11:35:08 aurora kernel:        7fffffff 00000006 00000006
c0123951 c02562a4 dbae8190 dbfb73fc daed9f44
Jul 20 11:35:08 aurora kernel:        c0320880 00000020 00000005
00000005 c0232e59 dbae8190 dbfb73e4 00000000

Anyway, I will continue to try and get a real oops.  I will post this
once someone lets me know it is safe.

Trever

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 11:13, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> Alright, same board here, Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (nVidia nForce 2).  I have
> pci=noacpi.  However, if I leave ACPI on, I get two funnies:
>
> 1) My disk seems to be more active, I hear it clicking much more
> 2) When eth0 gets shutdown on power off, it freezes.  However, I just
> tried to force it by manually shutting it off and it works fine.
>
> I will provide the sysrq output later today when I will have more paper
> around to write down the output.
>
> This box works fine with pci=noacpi and acpi=off.  So, I am just trying
> to figure out how to get it to work fine with the power stuff working,
> even if the irq related part is broken.  It would be nice to fix it all
> actually.
>
> Trever
> --
> "It was as true as taxes is. And nothing's truer than them." -- Charles
> Dickens (1812-70)
>
> -
"The era of setting this up as a competition between Apple and Microsoft
is over, as far as I'm concerned." -- S. Jobs