* Ejecting a CardBus device
@ 2003-09-27  2:00 Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-09-27  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All!

How can I tell the CardBus subsystem to eject my CardBus NIC by software
with 2.6.0 kernels? In 2.4 I could use "cardctl eject", but I don't know
how to do the same on 2.6.0-test5-mm4.

I need to eject my CardBus NIC if I want to be able to suspend the
machine using APM. Resuming from APM when the "yenta_socket" and
"pcmcia_core" modules are loaded causes a deadlock in the kernel during
resume, and the machine never comes back completely. Thus, before
suspending, I need to rmmod "pcmcia_core" and "yenta_socket" (well, and
uhci-hcd and the sound modules).

Currently, I need to manually eject the card by pushing the eject button
on the side of the laptop if I want to to rmmod "pcmcia_core" (not doing
so, causes pcmcia_core to complain that it's busy). So, I wonder if
there's a way to tell pcmcia_core to "eject" the CardBus NIC (without
physically ejecting the card from the socket) in order to being able to
rmmod it before trying to suspend.

Thanks!

   Felipe Alfaro Solana

* Re: Ejecting a CardBus device
@ 2003-09-27  7:28 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2003-09-27  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:00:16AM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> How can I tell the CardBus subsystem to eject my CardBus NIC by software
> with 2.6.0 kernels? In 2.4 I could use "cardctl eject", but I don't know
> how to do the same on 2.6.0-test5-mm4.

The same works with 2.6.0-test5.

> I need to eject my CardBus NIC if I want to be able to suspend the
> machine using APM. Resuming from APM when the "yenta_socket" and
> "pcmcia_core" modules are loaded causes a deadlock in the kernel during
> resume, and the machine never comes back completely.

It would be nice to solve this problem.  Since APM suspend with 2.6
kernels seems to be a complete dead loss with my laptop, don't look
to me to diagnose this one.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)	http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/
      maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/

* Re: Ejecting a CardBus device
@ 2003-09-27 10:18   ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-09-27 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 09:28, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:00:16AM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > How can I tell the CardBus subsystem to eject my CardBus NIC by software
> > with 2.6.0 kernels? In 2.4 I could use "cardctl eject", but I don't know
> > how to do the same on 2.6.0-test5-mm4.
>
> The same works with 2.6.0-test5.

I doesn't seem to work: "cardctl eject" complains that no pcmcia driver
appears in /proc/devices. Any ideas?

Meanwhile, I'll take a look at the source code of cardctl to see if I
can learn how to force the eject by software.

* Re: Ejecting a CardBus device
@ 2003-09-27 10:20     ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2003-09-27 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 12:18:09PM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 09:28, Russell King wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:00:16AM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > > How can I tell the CardBus subsystem to eject my CardBus NIC by software
> > > with 2.6.0 kernels? In 2.4 I could use "cardctl eject", but I don't know
> > > how to do the same on 2.6.0-test5-mm4.
> >
> > The same works with 2.6.0-test5.
>
> I doesn't seem to work: "cardctl eject" complains that no pcmcia driver
> appears in /proc/devices. Any ideas?

That'll be because ds got unloaded.  Although ds isn't required for
cardbus cards, it does provide the interface to cardctl.

--

@ 2003-09-27 13:13       ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-09-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 12:20, Russell King wrote:

> > I doesn't seem to work: "cardctl eject" complains that no pcmcia driver
> > appears in /proc/devices. Any ideas?
>
> That'll be because ds got unloaded.  Although ds isn't required for
> cardbus cards, it does provide the interface to cardctl.

Bingo! Now APM suspend is working flawlessly for the very first time in
my life... Thanks.