From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Cc: mingo@redhat.com,
Subject: Re: PATCH: 2.6.10 - Misrouted IRQ recovery for review
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:18:19 +0000	[thread overview]

> I saw this message coming out of ac2 with my runaway IRQ 18 problem, so
> I tried irqpoll, and it just "went away" beyond sysreq or other gentle
> recovery.

That means that the cause of the IRQ that hung your machine was not one
we had any driver for. Thats generally BIOS bogosities on a large scale.
The irqpoll code can recover from cases where an IRQ turns up on the
wrong IRQ line but for a registered driver and when an IRQ fails to turn
up in which case the timer tick picks it up on x86 (which may or may not
make it "useful").

> I suspect that the problem lies in sharing the shared IRQ, and that
> polling doesn't solve the problem, just changes it to a hang witing for
> the misrouted IRQ. Still poking for the real cause, no patch or
> anything, but acpi={off,ht}, noapic, pci=routeirq, etc have no benefit
> (for me).

That wouldn't really fit how the hardware works. You appear to have some
unsupported device connected to that line and asserting IRQ right from
boot.

Alan