Hello On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 17:46, Christoph Hellwig wrote: > > > reiser4-perthread-pages.patch > > this one I don't particularly object, but I'm not sure it's really > the right thing to do. Can you post it with a detailed description > to linux-mm so we can kick off discussion? > This patch adds an API to reserve some number of pages for exclusive use of calling thread. This is necessary to support operations that cannot tolerate memory allocation failures in the middle (reiser4 uses this API to not have to undo complex uncompleted (due to ENOMEM) filesystem tree modifications). Implementation is simple: reserved pages are stored in a list hanging off calling task_struct. Caller is to manually release unused pages. This API is supposed to be used for small reservation (no more than few dozens of pages). Looking forward for advices on how to do that better/properly Thanks