* I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-19  0:41 sylvanino b
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: sylvanino b @ 2005-02-19  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I wrote a kernel tool for my personnal usage which goal is to keep a
record of recent task preemptions and interruptions that appears under
linux. Although the record is short (a few minutes only), It can help
to analyse scheduling algorithm efficiency and also driver timing
issues. The user can access data from user-space, through proc
filesystem and analyze it with a graphics tool.  Then, since it's also
availlable within KDB, it can give clues and help for debugging.

So far, the tool is not a big deal, but not trivial either. When It is
running, the tool doesn't overload the system. And when it is not
running, it's just transparent.

I did a webpage for it, you can check it out at:
http://membres.lycos.fr/kernelanalyzer/

If you have any comment/critics, don't hesitate to share it
Thanks,

Sylvain

* Re: I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-19  1:01 ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-02-19  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sylvanino b; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 01:41 +0100, sylvanino b wrote:
> I did a webpage for it, you can check it out at:
> http://membres.lycos.fr/kernelanalyzer/
>
> If you have any comment/critics, don't hesitate to share it

Is this meant to run on a Windows system or something?  The screenshots
look like Windows, and the archive is a .rar file.

I was not able to extract the .rar file.  File roller does not work at
all because it tries to pass the nonexistent "-c" switch to unrar.  And
it won't unrar manually:

rlrevell@mindpipe:~/cvs$ unrar kernelanalyzer.rar 2>&1 | head -20

unrar 0.0.1           Copyright (c) 2004 Ben Asselstine

Extracting from /smb/rlrevell/cvs/kernelanalyzer.rar

Extracting  download/image/ex1.JPG                                    Failed
Extracting  download/image/ex2.JPG                                    Failed
Extracting  download/image/schema.PNG                                 Failed

Please use standard Linux file formats like .tar.gz instead of oddballs like .rar.

Lee

* Re: I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-19  1:33   ` sylvanino b
From: sylvanino b @ 2005-02-19  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

Sorry, it's meant to run on linux.
Actually, patch provided is for linux 2.6.9 + kdb 4.4

I have uploaded a new tarball and updated the webpage.
should be ok,

Sylvain

@ 2005-02-19  2:52     ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-02-19  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sylvanino b; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 02:33 +0100, sylvanino b wrote:
> Sorry, it's meant to run on linux.
> Actually, patch provided is for linux 2.6.9 + kdb 4.4

Cool program.  It has an annoying bug where every time you go to "Open
Log File", it starts you in your home directory again.  Otherwise it's a
nice utility.

I actually have a problem that this might help with.  The issue is that
the scheduler seems to treat Evolution as a CPU bound rather than an
event driven, I/O bound process.  The most obvious symptom is that a
real CPU bound activity like a kernel compile will cause navigating the
message list in Evolution to slow to a crawl.  Evolution is perfectly
usable when no other CPU hogs are running, or when the CPU hogs are
niced, so it's definitely a scheduler issue.

My understanding of Unix schedulers is that the basic idea is to
penalize CPU bound and reward I/O bound processes by giving the former
lower dynamic priority with longer timeslice and the latter high
priority with shorter timeslice.  I suspect the scheduler does not
handle interactive, event driven apps that also consume a lot of CPU due
to bloat very well.  These would seem to need high priority and long
timeslices, which would require the scheduler to distinguish a process
like a kernel compile that will continually exhaust its timeslice no
matter how long, and a process like evolution that if given a long
enough timeslice will finish rendering the message and go back to sleep.

Anyway, that's my hypothesis, I'll let you know what I find out.

Lee

* Re: I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-19 10:10 ` Matthias-Christian Ott
From: Matthias-Christian Ott @ 2005-02-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sylvanino b; +Cc: linux-kernel

sylvanino b wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wrote a kernel tool for my personnal usage which goal is to keep a
>record of recent task preemptions and interruptions that appears under
>linux. Although the record is short (a few minutes only), It can help
>to analyse scheduling algorithm efficiency and also driver timing
>issues. The user can access data from user-space, through proc
>filesystem and analyze it with a graphics tool.  Then, since it's also
>availlable within KDB, it can give clues and help for debugging.
>
>So far, the tool is not a big deal, but not trivial either. When It is
>running, the tool doesn't overload the system. And when it is not
>running, it's just transparent.
>
>I did a webpage for it, you can check it out at:
>http://membres.lycos.fr/kernelanalyzer/
>
>If you have any comment/critics, don't hesitate to share it
>Thanks,
>
>Sylvain
>-
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Hi!
Lycos is not the right place for such a good project, request hosting at
sf.net or developer.berlios.de.

Matthias-Christian Ott

* Re: I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-19 23:50     ` Florian Schmidt
From: Florian Schmidt @ 2005-02-19 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sylvanino b; +Cc: Lee Revell, linux-kernel

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:33:00 +0100
sylvanino b <sylvanino@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, it's meant to run on linux.
> Actually, patch provided is for linux 2.6.9 + kdb 4.4
>

> I have uploaded a new tarball and updated the webpage.
> should be ok,
>
> Sylvain

For some reason all i ever get to see is the front page.. Any link just
leads to an empty page like this [screenshot]:

http://affenbande.org/~tapas/kernelanalyzer_web.png

I second lee's idea to move the project to sf.net or berlios.

flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/

* Re: I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-20  0:04       ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2005-02-20  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Schmidt; +Cc: sylvanino b, Lee Revell, linux-kernel

Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:33:00 +0100
> sylvanino b <sylvanino@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Sorry, it's meant to run on linux.
>>Actually, patch provided is for linux 2.6.9 + kdb 4.4
>>

>>I have uploaded a new tarball and updated the webpage.
>>should be ok,
>>
>>Sylvain
>

> For some reason all i ever get to see is the front page.. Any link just
> leads to an empty page like this [screenshot]:

That's also what I saw with firefox, but konqueror worked OK.

@ 2005-02-20  0:17         ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-02-20  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Florian Schmidt, sylvanino b, linux-kernel

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 16:04 -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> > For some reason all i ever get to see is the front page.. Any link just
> > leads to an empty page like this [screenshot]:
>
> That's also what I saw with firefox, but konqueror worked OK.

I saw it at first with Firefox but then when I tried again it worked.

> > http://affenbande.org/~tapas/kernelanalyzer_web.png
> >
> > I second lee's idea to move the project to sf.net or berlios.

This wasn't my idea but it's a good one.

Lee

* Re: I wrote a kernel tool for monitoring / web page
@ 2005-02-20  0:23           ` sylvanino b
From: sylvanino b @ 2005-02-20  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: Randy.Dunlap, Florian Schmidt, linux-kernel

hi,

sorry, the host had poor advertisement.  I opened a SF project and am
waiting for its validation.

In the meantimes, I changed host, this one has no ad:
http://slvn.free.fr/kernelanalyzer/index.php

I'm going to put more explanation on the site too.

sylvain

@ 2005-02-23 12:24 ` sylvanino b
From: sylvanino b @ 2005-02-23 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I wrote a kernel tool for my personnal usage which goal is to keep a
record of recent task preemptions and interruptions that appears under
linux. Either for debugging through KDB, or for monitoring/analyze
with a   graphics representation.

as adviced, SourceForge project is now opened:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelanalyzer/

Best regards,

Sylvain