From: Daniel Walker <dwalker@mvista.com>
To: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Cc: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	mingo@elte.hu, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.15-rt3 + Open Posix Test Suite
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:41:00 -0800	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 22:53 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> This runs a while loop at SCHED_FIFO prio 99?  And alarm never happens.
> Doesn't the alarm get activated by the softirqd that is running at a
> lower priority?  Seems that this is starving out the softirq from
> getting the alarm.

I thought alarm was a signal (SIGALRM) ? If it's delivered by softirqd
then this makes sense. Your right , it's softirqd related.

The processes also calls yield() inside it's while loop . We have
warnings about yield() and RT tasks.

> I believe that Thomas once had priorities attached to the timers.  I'd
> like to see that again, and may even start adding them myself, such that
> when a process activates a timer, when that timer goes off, the softirq
> will get the priority of the timer.  But this has some complications to
> be sorted out.

Yes, I remember . Do we fix the test in this case, or the kernel ?

Daniel