On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 13:56 +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote: > My copy of the sd(4) man page says of that ioctl: > > The information returned in the parameter is the disk > geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not > the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the > drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient > operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry > information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the > parameters. > > Is there a preferred alternative specification? Hm... in light of that, I'll acquiesce that 0/0/0 is fine by me, and no other behavior is necessary. --D