On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 14:24 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote: > The whole point of that function has absolutely nothing to do with > highmem, and it *must* be useful on non-highmem configurations to be > appropriate. Right, I'd just like my io_mapping_map_atomic_wc to be able to rapidly map random pages from my PCI BAR in WC mode. The code in your tree uses kmap_atomic_pfn, which does the mapping, but use the wrong prot bits. On a system with MTRR failure, this all ends badly, with factors of 20 performance drops for copying data from the CPU to the aperture. > So I'd much rather create a new or something. Or just > expose this from to or something. Let's not confuse this > with highmem, even if the implementation _historically_ was due to that. Sure, we readily admit that we're abusing the highmem API. So we wrapped that abusive code in a pretty package that can be re-implemented however you desire. How (and when) would you like to see this fixed? -- keith.packard@intel.com