On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 14:24 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote: > On Friday, February 6, 2009 1:35 pm Thomas Hellström wrote: > > Jesse Barnes wrote: > > > On Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:37 am Jesse Barnes wrote: > > >> So if we leave the lookup reference around from the GTT mapping ioctl, > > >> that would take care of new mappings. And if we added/removed > > >> references at VM open/close time, we should be covered for fork. But is > > >> it ok to add a new unref in the finish ioctl for GTT mapped objects? I > > >> don't think so, because we don't know for sure if the caller was the one > > >> that created the new fake offset (which would be one way of detecting > > >> whether it was GTT mapped). Seems like we need a new unmap ioctl? Or we > > >> could put the mapping ref/unref in libdrm, where it would be tracked on > > >> a per-process basis... > > > > > > Ah but maybe we should just tear down the fake offset at unmap time; then > > > we'd be able to use it as an existence test for the mapping and get the > > > refcounting right. The last thing I thought of was whether we'd be ok in > > > a map_gtt -> crash case. I *think* the vm_close code will deal with > > > that, if we do a deref there? > > > > Yes, an mmap() is always paired with a vm_close(), and the vm_close() > > also happens in a crash situation. > > This one should cover the cases you found. > - ref at map time will keep the object around so fault shouldn't fail > - additional threads will take their refs in vm_open/close > - unmap will unref and remove mmap_offset allowing object to be freed sw_finish doesn't mean unmap (note that it doesn't actually unmap). If you want to actually unmap, that should be done with munmap. -- Eric Anholt eric@anholt.net eric.anholt@intel.com