* cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  0:39 Alex Chiang
From: Alex Chiang @ 2009-04-08  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ia64

Hi Andrew,

I've been using your cross-compilers here:

	http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/cross-compilers/

for a long time now, but they're starting to suffer from a bit of
neglect.

For example, the ia64 bundle, which used gcc 3.4.5 is now finally
too old to build 2.6.30-rc1, because of a gcc bug related to
labels.

Some of the newer bundles which use gcc 4.1.0 don't work because
of a check in:

	include/linux/compiler-gcc4.h

So my question is, do you still use those tools hosted on
kernel.org or do you have a new solution these days?

If you have a new solution, I'd like to hear it, because I found
those cross-compilers pretty useful, as I'm sure others did.

I spent most of yesterday fiddling about and managed to build an
x86_64 host, ia64 target, gcc 4.2.3, glibc 2.3.6 bundle, and it
all seems to work.

Is this something you're interested in? I could send you my
tarball (and slowly work on some of the other archs).

If so, what were the crosstool build options you used? I'm
specifically wondering about:

	- should I am for lowest common denominator host or are
	  you ok with x86_64 host

	- did you statically link the toolchain? or is it
	  dynamically linked?

Thanks.

/ac

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  1:03 ` Robin Holt
From: Robin Holt @ 2009-04-08  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.

Good Luck,
Robin

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:39:21PM -0600, Alex Chiang wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I've been using your cross-compilers here:
>
> 	http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/cross-compilers/
>
> for a long time now, but they're starting to suffer from a bit of
> neglect.
>
> For example, the ia64 bundle, which used gcc 3.4.5 is now finally
> too old to build 2.6.30-rc1, because of a gcc bug related to
> labels.
>
> Some of the newer bundles which use gcc 4.1.0 don't work because
> of a check in:
>
> 	include/linux/compiler-gcc4.h
>
> So my question is, do you still use those tools hosted on
> kernel.org or do you have a new solution these days?
>
> If you have a new solution, I'd like to hear it, because I found
> those cross-compilers pretty useful, as I'm sure others did.
>
> I spent most of yesterday fiddling about and managed to build an
> x86_64 host, ia64 target, gcc 4.2.3, glibc 2.3.6 bundle, and it
> all seems to work.
>
> Is this something you're interested in? I could send you my
> tarball (and slowly work on some of the other archs).
>
> If so, what were the crosstool build options you used? I'm
> specifically wondering about:
>
> 	- should I am for lowest common denominator host or are
> 	  you ok with x86_64 host
>
> 	- did you statically link the toolchain? or is it
> 	  dynamically linked?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /ac

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  5:46   ` Alex Chiang
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Alex Chiang @ 2009-04-08  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Holt; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

* Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>:
> Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
> emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.

Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
appropriately?

I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
still value in it?

Or shall we just recommend emdebian to everyone? :)

Thanks.

/ac

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  5:53     ` Pekka Enberg
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pekka Enberg @ 2009-04-08  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang
  Cc: Robin Holt, Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-ia64, Vegard Nossum

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Alex Chiang <achiang@hp.com> wrote:
> I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
> all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
> still value in it?

I don't know about Andrew, but Vegard might be interested:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  5:54     ` Andrew Morton
                         ` (6 more replies)
From: Andrew Morton @ 2009-04-08  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:46:12 -0600 Alex Chiang <achiang@hp.com> wrote:

> * Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>:
> > Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
> > emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.
>
> Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
> installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> appropriately?
>
> I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
> all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
> still value in it?

We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.

Yes, the stuff I put together is very old and at the time crosstool was
horridly hard to use.  Hardly any combinations of anything actually
worked - what you see there is about 5% of the toolchains I had to
build.  Apparently is has become better.

> Or shall we just recommend emdebian to everyone? :)

That sounds suspiciously like "thou shalt use debian".  I was so
traumatised by dselect ten years ago that I don't think I could afford
the therapy bills.

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  5:55     ` Robin Holt
From: Robin Holt @ 2009-04-08  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Robin Holt, Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:46:12PM -0600, Alex Chiang wrote:
> * Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>:
> > Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
> > emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.
>
> Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
> installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> appropriately?

That is all I do.

Robin

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08  6:12       ` Peter Chubb
                         ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Chubb @ 2009-04-08  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

Alex Chiang said:
>> Or shall we just recommend emdebian to everyone? :)

Andrew> That sounds suspiciously like "thou shalt use debian".  I was
Andrew> so traumatised by dselect ten years ago that I don't think I
Andrew> could afford the therapy bills.

It's *much* better now :-) Or you could use Ubuntu.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia

* Re: cross-compilers
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-08  9:50     ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2009-04-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Robin Holt, Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

Alex Chiang <achiang@hp.com> writes:

> * Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>:
>> Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
>> emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.
>
> Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
> installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> appropriately?
>
> I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
> all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
> still value in it?
>
> Or shall we just recommend emdebian to everyone? :)

SUSE also has cross-gcc-* rpms. Typically for icecream, but they're
relatively easy to extract into native format.

-Andi

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08 10:53       ` Matthew Wilcox
                         ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2009-04-08 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Or shall we just recommend emdebian to everyone? :)
>
> That sounds suspiciously like "thou shalt use debian".  I was so
> traumatised by dselect ten years ago that I don't think I could afford
> the therapy bills.

I think it's been about ten years since I last used dselect ;-)

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08 11:08 ` Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 2009-04-08 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 18:39:21 -0600, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Alex Chiang:

> I've been using your cross-compilers here:
>
> 	http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/cross-compilers/
>
> for a long time now, but they're starting to suffer from a bit of
> neglect.

Why bother?

You can use 'crossdev' to build your own cross-compilers instead. They
can build either stable or unstable toolchains for your target
architectures.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08 15:29       ` Lennart Sorensen
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2009-04-08 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> That sounds suspiciously like "thou shalt use debian".  I was so
> traumatised by dselect ten years ago that I don't think I could afford
> the therapy bills.

I hate dselect.  I like debian though.

Fortunately dselect is history.  It had one of the worst interfaces I
have ever dealt with.

So I have no problem with everyone using debian.  I am sure the non
debian users do have a problem with that.

--
Len Sorensen

* Re: cross-compilers
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-08 15:39       ` Xavier Bestel
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Xavier Bestel @ 2009-04-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 22:54 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Or shall we just recommend emdebian to everyone? :)
>
> That sounds suspiciously like "thou shalt use debian".  I was so
> traumatised by dselect ten years ago that I don't think I could afford
> the therapy bills.

Sure. But try aptitude for a change.

	Xav

* Re: cross-compilers
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-08 17:33       ` Alex Chiang
From: Alex Chiang @ 2009-04-08 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

* Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:46:12 -0600 Alex Chiang <achiang@hp.com> wrote:
>
> > * Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>:
> > > Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
> > > emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.
> >
> > Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
> > installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> > appropriately?
> >
> > I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
> > all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
> > still value in it?
>
> We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
> suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.

Ok, I'll work with Vegard on this.

Thanks.

/ac

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-08 17:36         ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2009-04-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Andrew Morton, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

Alex Chiang wrote:
> * Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>:

>>> Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
>>> installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
>>> appropriately?
>>>
>>> I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
>>> all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
>>> still value in it?
>> We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
>> suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.
>
> Ok, I'll work with Vegard on this.
>
> Thanks.

Thank you.  We should be able to have these tools
without using any specific $distro.

--
~Randy

* Re: cross-compilers
                         ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-09  0:20       ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2009-04-09  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 00:54:57 Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:46:12 -0600 Alex Chiang <achiang@hp.com> wrote:
> > * Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>:
> > > Don't know if this answers your problem, but I use the tools from
> > > emdebian and they do not suffer from the problems you list below.
> >
> > Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
> > installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> > appropriately?
> >
> > I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
> > all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
> > still value in it?
>
> We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
> suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.

I already maintain cross compilers for my own use and the uClibc.org guys,
along with little root filesystems and system images bootable under qemu:

  http://uclibc.org/downloads/binaries

We're about to start doing nightly builds based on uClibc snapshots, I could
easily get our server to do similar nightly builds based on the git version
kernel headers and upload 'em to
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/landley/ if there's any interest...

Rob
--
GPLv3 is to GPLv2 what Attack of the Clones is to The Empire Strikes Back.

* Re: cross-compilers
                         ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-09  0:33       ` Tony Breeds
From: Tony Breeds @ 2009-04-09  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
> suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.

I build wont say maintain many of the cross compilers used for linux-next.  I
can place them somehere.  They're kernel only as I don't build libc.

I can build compilers for running on intel (32-bit) and powerpc (32-bit).  If
there is a need for other hosted compilers and people can give me access to an
appropriate host/VM I'll build them too.

Yours Tony

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09  0:44         ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2009-04-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Breeds; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:33:08 +1000 Tony Breeds <tony@bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
> > suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.
>
> I build wont say maintain many of the cross compilers used for linux-next.  I
> can place them somehere.

Please do.

Several people have made suggestions but I don't think I've yet seen
anything which is download-and-go.  Many of them appear to be ways of
tricking people into installing distributions which include dselect,
but I'm awake to their little games.

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09  0:55           ` Alex Chiang
From: Alex Chiang @ 2009-04-09  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Tony Breeds, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

* Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>:
> On Tony Breeds <tony@bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We would benefit very much from having someone who actually
> > > maintains a suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.
> >
> > I build wont say maintain many of the cross compilers used
> > for linux-next.  I can place them somehere.
>
> Please do.
>
> Several people have made suggestions but I don't think I've yet
> seen anything which is download-and-go.

This is what I plan on doing with Vegard. I've already sent him
mail offline.

Thanks.

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09  7:29         ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2009-04-09  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 02:33, Tony Breeds <tony@bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:54:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
>> suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.
>
> I build wont say maintain many of the cross compilers used for linux-next.  I
> can place them somehere.  They're kernel only as I don't build libc.

Any chance m68k-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc 4.0.2 can be updated, so we get proper
m68k allmodconfig coverage again? Recently we had some allmodconfig breakage
in mainline (not limited to m68k though) for stuff that had been in
-next, but was
never tried with m68k allmodconfig due to the ICE, while I could reproduce it.

Mine is gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21), so
far no ICEs
when not trying randconfig (strange that randconfig triggers those).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09 12:52         ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2009-04-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang; +Cc: Andrew Morton, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Wed, 2009-04-08 11:33:32 -0600, Alex Chiang <achiang@hp.com> wrote:
> * Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>:
> > >
> > > Wow, this seems _much_ simpler. Once you get the toolchain
> > > installed, all you have to do is set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> > > appropriately?
> > >
> > > I guess the question remains for Andrew. Since I pretty much did
> > > all the work needed to update his cross-compiler repo, is there
> > > still value in it?
> >
> > We would benefit very much from having someone who actually maintains a
> > suite of cross-compilers for kernel developers.
>
> Ok, I'll work with Vegard on this.

Is anybody building GCC trunk for the targets on a daily basis? I do
build vax-linux (kernel-only) cross compilers quite often and the
build script could probably also handle other targets.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
  Signature of:                        Lauf nicht vor Deinem Glück davon:

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09 20:24             ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2009-04-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Chiang
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Tony Breeds, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

Alex Chiang wrote:
>> Several people have made suggestions but I don't think I've yet
>> seen anything which is download-and-go.
>
> This is what I plan on doing with Vegard. I've already sent him
> mail offline.

Any chance to add cross compilers for linux-parisc and linux-parisc64 as well?

Helge

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09 20:31               ` Alex Chiang
From: Alex Chiang @ 2009-04-09 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Tony Breeds, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

* Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de>:
> Alex Chiang wrote:
> >> Several people have made suggestions but I don't think I've
> >> yet seen anything which is download-and-go.
> >
> > This is what I plan on doing with Vegard. I've already sent
> > him mail offline.
>
> Any chance to add cross compilers for linux-parisc and
> linux-parisc64 as well?

I can try.

I'm about to leave on a two-week holiday so it'll be a while.

Thanks.

/ac

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09 20:51           ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2009-04-09 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw
  Cc: Alex Chiang, Andrew Morton, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

> Is anybody building GCC trunk for the targets on a daily basis?

Not daily yet, but often anyway.  Also binutils and kernel mainline.

Scripts: <http://git.infradead.org/users/segher/buildall.git>

Edit "config" for your local paths etc.
Run  ./build [--kernel] <arch> [<some-defconfig>]  to build a toolchain
and a kernel, or only the kernel if --kernel is given.  Run  ./buildall
to build a toolchain+kernel for all archs.

Segher

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09 21:52           ` Tony Breeds
From: Tony Breeds @ 2009-04-09 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:44:43PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Please do.

linux-next is built on powerpc so I needed to rebuild many of the compilers for
intel.

While I was there I "updated to 4.3.3 and a 4.4.0 snapshot (20090216).

I've placed (well am placing):

x86_64 host, gcc 4.3.3, binutils 2.19.1:
alpha-linux
arm-linux
avr-linux
cris-linux
hppa64-linux
hppa-linux
i386-linux
m68k-linux
mipsel-linux
mips-linux
powerpc-linux
s390x-linux
sparc-linux
xtensa-linux

x86_64 host, gcc 4.4.0-20090216, binutils 2.19.1:
alpha-linux
arm-linux
avr-linux
cris-linux
hppa64-linux
i386-linux
m68k-linux
powerpc-linux
s390x-linux
sparc-linux

I haven't succeeded in builting a ia64 compiler, but I'll keep trying.

The i386,powerpc and sparc compilers are biarch and seem to build the 32/64
kernels appropriately.

I'm building i386 hosted compiiler ATM and I'll uplaod them when done.

Looking at the 4.3.3 compilers, asside from ia64 what arches are missing?

> Several people have made suggestions but I don't think I've yet seen
> anything which is download-and-go.  Many of them appear to be ways of
> tricking people into installing distributions which include dselect,
> but I'm awake to their little games.

These should all be relocatable, in that you can wack them anywhere (/opt/cross
for me) and set your CROSS_COMPILE var and go.

For what it's worth these compilers were built with something derrived from
the buildall scripts by Segher (http://git.infradead.org/users/segher/buildall.git)

Thanks Segher!

Yours Tony

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-09 23:47             ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2009-04-09 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, 2009-04-10 07:52:07 +1000, Tony Breeds <tony@bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:44:43PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Please do.
>
> linux-next is built on powerpc so I needed to rebuild many of the compilers for
> intel.

I've started a build-bot like script for binutils + GCC from CVS/GIT.
If it builds through, I'll start uploading i686 hosted compilers
later on today.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                   ...und wenn Du denkst, es geht nicht mehr,

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10  5:45             ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2009-04-10  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:52:07AM +1000, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:44:43PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Please do.
>
> linux-next is built on powerpc so I needed to rebuild many of the compilers for
> intel.
>
> While I was there I "updated to 4.3.3 and a 4.4.0 snapshot (20090216).
>
> I've placed (well am placing):

Where can I find them?

	Sam

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10 10:12               ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2009-04-10 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64,
	Sam Ravnborg

On Fri, 2009-04-10 01:47:50 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 07:52:07 +1000, Tony Breeds <tony@bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:44:43PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > Please do.
> >
> > linux-next is built on powerpc so I needed to rebuild many of the compilers for
> > intel.
>
> I've started a build-bot like script for binutils + GCC from CVS/GIT.
> If it builds through, I'll start uploading i686 hosted compilers
> later on today.

So... I've now build trunk kernel-only cross-compilers (hosted on
i686) for these targets:

	alpha-linux.tar.bz2
	am33_2.0-linux.tar.bz2
	arm-linux.tar.bz2
	avr-linux.tar.bz2
	bfin-uclinux.tar.bz2
	cris-linux.tar.bz2
	frv-linux.tar.bz2
	h8300-elf.tar.bz2
	hppa64-linux.tar.bz2
	hppa-linux.tar.bz2
	i386-linux.tar.bz2
	ia64-linux.tar.bz2
	m32r-linux.tar.bz2
	m68k-linux.tar.bz2
	mips64-linux.tar.bz2
	mips-linux.tar.bz2
	powerpc64-linux.tar.bz2
	powerpc-linux.tar.bz2
	s390-linux.tar.bz2
	sh3-linux.tar.bz2
	sh64-linux.tar.bz2
	sparc64-linux.tar.bz2
	sparc-linux.tar.bz2
	v850e-linux.tar.bz2
	vax-linux.tar.bz2
	x86_64-linux.tar.bz2
	xtensa-linux.tar.bz2

They seem to build reliably, I'd easily build them once a day. If
anybody is interested, I'll put them somewhere on lug-owl.de, or if
you wish, on kernel.org .

Comments?

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:          GDB has a 'break' feature; why doesn't it have 'fix' too?

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10 10:19                 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-04-10 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64,
	Sam Ravnborg

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:12, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 01:47:50 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>> I've started a build-bot like script for binutils + GCC from CVS/GIT.
>> If it builds through, I'll start uploading i686 hosted compilers
>> later on today.
>
> So... I've now build trunk kernel-only cross-compilers (hosted on
> i686) for these targets:
>
>        bfin-uclinux.tar.bz2

we already host up-to-date Blackfin compilers on the Blackfin website:
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/toolchain/frs/

and we build for a variety of platforms ... atm that is x86, x86_64,
ia64, and ppc

we also provide for simple distro integration:
 - Gentoo has ebuilds in-tree
 - deb based distros can use "deb
http://download.analog.com/27516/distros/debian stable main"
 - rpms are available at the link above (fedora/suse/etc...)
 - tarballs are available at the link above (everyone else)

not sure it can get much easier than that for installing the Blackfin
toolchain ;)
-mike

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10 10:49                   ` Sam Ravnborg
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2009-04-10 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:19:21AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:12, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-04-10 01:47:50 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> >> I've started a build-bot like script for binutils + GCC from CVS/GIT.
> >> If it builds through, I'll start uploading i686 hosted compilers
> >> later on today.
> >
> > So... I've now build trunk kernel-only cross-compilers (hosted on
> > i686) for these targets:
> >
> >        bfin-uclinux.tar.bz2
>
> we already host up-to-date Blackfin compilers on the Blackfin website:
> http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/toolchain/frs/
>
> and we build for a variety of platforms ... atm that is x86, x86_64,
> ia64, and ppc
>
> we also provide for simple distro integration:
>  - Gentoo has ebuilds in-tree
>  - deb based distros can use "deb
> http://download.analog.com/27516/distros/debian stable main"
>  - rpms are available at the link above (fedora/suse/etc...)
>  - tarballs are available at the link above (everyone else)
>
> not sure it can get much easier than that for installing the Blackfin
> toolchain ;)
It can...
I'm after a one-stop place where we can locate cross compilers
for all architectures that Linux supports so it is a much simpler
task to actaully try to build our changes for as many architectures
as we supports.

And please host them on kernel.org - preferably as an update
of Vegards pages.

	Sam

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10 10:50                     ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-04-10 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:49, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:19:21AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> >
>> > So... I've now build trunk kernel-only cross-compilers (hosted on
>> > i686) for these targets:
>> >
>> >        bfin-uclinux.tar.bz2
>>
>> we already host up-to-date Blackfin compilers on the Blackfin website:
>> http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/toolchain/frs/
>>
>> and we build for a variety of platforms ... atm that is x86, x86_64,
>> ia64, and ppc
>>
>> we also provide for simple distro integration:
>>  - Gentoo has ebuilds in-tree
>>  - deb based distros can use "deb
>> http://download.analog.com/27516/distros/debian stable main"
>>  - rpms are available at the link above (fedora/suse/etc...)
>>  - tarballs are available at the link above (everyone else)
>>
>> not sure it can get much easier than that for installing the Blackfin
>> toolchain ;)
>
> It can...
> I'm after a one-stop place where we can locate cross compilers
> for all architectures that Linux supports so it is a much simpler
> task to actaully try to build our changes for as many architectures
> as we supports.
>
> And please host them on kernel.org - preferably as an update
> of Vegards pages.

whoever is maintaining the one location should simply mirror our
tarballs (grabbing the 1 uclinux from the Debian link would be
easiest) ... unlike the random ones people are compiling and posting,
the binaries we post have gone through extensive testing -- both in
terms of included testsuites (gcc/binutils/etc...) as well as actually
building/running the kernel and userspace
-mike

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10 15:59                     ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2009-04-10 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Mike Frysinger, Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt,
	linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, 2009-04-10 12:49:13 +0200, Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:19:21AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> I'm after a one-stop place where we can locate cross compilers
> for all architectures that Linux supports so it is a much simpler
> task to actaully try to build our changes for as many architectures
> as we supports.
>
> And please host them on kernel.org - preferably as an update
> of Vegards pages.

Known-working compilers, or the current latest-and-greatest for
testing? I can provide the HEAD compilers easily.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
  Signature of:                          Zensur im Internet? Nein danke!

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-10 16:03                       ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2009-04-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg, Mike Frysinger, Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang,
	Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 05:59:16PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 12:49:13 +0200, Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 06:19:21AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>
> > I'm after a one-stop place where we can locate cross compilers
> > for all architectures that Linux supports so it is a much simpler
> > task to actaully try to build our changes for as many architectures
> > as we supports.
> >
> > And please host them on kernel.org - preferably as an update
> > of Vegards pages.
>
> Known-working compilers, or the current latest-and-greatest for
> testing? I can provide the HEAD compilers easily.

There's /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/toolchain.git/ on kernel.org.
Not updated for a while and it's Fedora-based set.

* Re: cross-compilers
@ 2009-04-11  9:46               ` Tony Breeds
From: Tony Breeds @ 2009-04-11  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Alex Chiang, Robin Holt, linux-kernel, linux-ia64

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:45:35AM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:52:07AM +1000, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:44:43PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > Please do.
> >
> > linux-next is built on powerpc so I needed to rebuild many of the compilers for
> > intel.
> >
> > While I was there I "updated to 4.3.3 and a 4.4.0 snapshot (20090216).
> >
> > I've placed (well am placing):
>
> Where can I find them?

D'oh  Sorry http://bakeyournoodle.com/cross/

Yours Tony