From: PINTU KUMAR <pintu_agarwal@yahoo.com>
To: Hugh Dickins <hughd@google.com>
Cc: "linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-mm@kvack.org" <linux-mm@kvack.org>
Subject: Re: [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 00:42:44 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Dear Hugh Dickins,

Thank you very much for your reply.

>If these are ordinary pages with struct pages, then you could probably
>use a loop of vm_insert_page()s to insert them at mmap time, or a fault
>routine to insert them on fault.  But as I said, I don't know if this
>memory is part of the ordinary page pool or not.

You suggestion about using vm_insert_page() instead of remap_pfn_range worked for me and I got the Rss/Pss information for my driver.
But still there is one problem related to page fault.
If I remove remap_pfn_range then I get a page fault in the beginning.
I tried to use the same vm_insert_page() during page_fault_handler for each vmf->virtual_address but it did not work.
So for time being I remove the page fault handler from my vm_operations.
But with these my menu screen(LCD screen) is not behaving properly (I get colorful lines on my LCD).
So I need to handle the page fault properly.

But I am not sure what is that I need to do inside page fault handler. Do you have any example or references or suggestions?

>Really, the question has to be, why do you need to see non-0s there?
I want Rss/Pss value to account for how much video memory is used by the driver for the menu-screen,Xorg processes.

Thanks,
Pintu