On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 09:42 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote: > Hi Linus, > > Please pull from > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git tags/rdma-for-linus > Vinit Agnihotri (1): > IB/qib: change QLogic to Intel > firmware/Makefile | 2 +- > firmware/{qlogic => intel}/sd7220.fw.ihex | 0 This is an ABI change, and it's wrong. Moving the firmware from one location to another breaks drivers which look for it in one place when it is actually in the other. Besides, the firmware/ directory of the kernel is deprecated and very few people actually use it. I don't think *any* distributions do anything other than ignore its contents, or have done for some years. Any changes need to be made in the separate linux-firmware repository. I don't recall seeing this change being submitted there, and if it *was* it would have been rejected on the basis that it breaks old kernels. Unless we *duplicate* the file in both qlogic/ and intel/ directories, but that's just silly. We already have a *bunch* of other firmwares in the qlogic/ directory which nobody seems interested in moving. There is no point in this marketing-driven revisionism; please leave this one where it is too. Please revert this part of commit e2eed58b4 before 3.9. Thanks. -- dwmw2