* 2.6.0-test1 Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI grief
@ 2003-07-24 11:17 Tugrul Galatali
From: Tugrul Galatali @ 2003-07-24 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

	After months of using 2.5.x with stability on my box, and using
2.6.0-test1 since the day after its release (with the 20030714 ACPI
patch), I had two seemingly random SCSI hangs today. One shortly after
I booted the box in the afternoon, and one after about 15 hours of
uptime. I was busy the first time around, but the second time I managed
to scp out a copy of the current dmesg to another box before a hard
power down.

	Can somebody translate the error in the dmesg into english and advise
me on whether I want to change something in the software or the
hardware?

http://acm.cs.nyu.edu/~tugrul/scsi/

	Thanks in advance,
		Tugrul Galatali

* RE: 2.6.0-test1 Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI grief
@ 2003-07-25 13:43 Cress, Andrew R
From: Cress, Andrew R @ 2003-07-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tugrul Galatali', Justin T. Gibbs; +Cc: linux-kernel

Tugrul,

If it is a firmware problem, the firmware is upgradable, but you have to get
the firmware from IBM rather than Seagate.  IBM has special firmware for
their ST (Seagate) OEM'd disks.

You can use the IBM utility (runs from a CD in DOS), or the sgdskfl utility
under Linux from scsirastools.sf.net.

But do verify the SCSI cabling/termination first.

Andy