On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:50:15 +0100, Kay Sievers said: > After years of working in that area I will stop to work on these hacks > to promise stable ethX names. It was just wrong, like enumerations > always are in hotplug setups. So (real world case) I've got a server that's got a 1G ethernet connected to the public net, a 1G ethernet that's a cluster management network, and a 10G ethernet that connects to our HPC clusters. And I want to add iptables rules that distinguish based on interface. Currently I can nail the management net to eth0, the public net to eth1, and the 10G to eth2, and then just add "-i eth1" or whatever in the iptables ruleset. I really don't care if the 0/1/2 move around - but if we're not having nailed-down interface names, what will take the place of '-i ethN' in iptables? > People who need predictable interface names should just manually > configure custom/descriptive names, or names which are reliably > derived from the hardware, like firmware-provided names or the pci > slot number. Or is this sort of thing in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:25:90:0b:f2:80", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0" what you are trying to move to, and my systems are already onboard and I should just move along, nothing to see here? ;)