* Power management on Sony C1Vx
@ 2001-02-25 19:55 Matthias Bruestle
From: Matthias Bruestle @ 2001-02-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Note as stated in the FAQ: I am not subscribed, so please CC also to me,
when answering. (Or else my spies have to do this. :) )

Mahlzeit

I have been told, that I might get help here. I have a Sony VAIO C1Vx.
(In my case x=E.) My problem is the power management, i.e. standby and
suspend. I was not able to get it working (properly). Is here someone
who got it working or knows, that it will not work?

My tries so far:

2.4.2 with APM:

- Fn+Fxx does nothing.
- standby makes the display black, but switches not the backlights off.
  The only way to go back to normal is by switching to a text console
  and then back to X.
- suspend is done properly, but to only way to get back to normal is
  by switching the computer off and then boot again.

2.2.16 with APM:

- Same as above.

2.4.2 with ACPI:

- I have compiled 2.4.2 with ACPI and without APM. acpid is started.
- Fn-Fxx does hang the display and probably computer until a few seconds
  after pressing a key or mouse button.
- Don't know no other way of going into suspend or standby with ACPI.

2.4.2-ac3 with ACPI:

- Same as above, but Fn-Fxx does nothing.

So do I wasting here my time or is it possible to get standby/suspend
working with the C1Vx? Has somebody got it working with APM or ACPI?
Some pointers or even a detailed description?

Thanks all

endergone Zwiebeltuete

PS: I have installed Red Hat 7.0 (aka Little Red Ridinghood).

--
live free or die

* Re: Power management on Sony C1Vx
@ 2001-02-25 20:07 ` Drew Bertola
From: Drew Bertola @ 2001-02-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Bruestle; +Cc: linux-kernel

Matthias Bruestle writes:
> Note as stated in the FAQ: I am not subscribed, so please CC also to me,
> when answering. (Or else my spies have to do this. :) )
>
> Mahlzeit
>

> I have been told, that I might get help here. I have a Sony VAIO C1Vx.
> (In my case x=E.) My problem is the power management, i.e. standby and
> suspend. I was not able to get it working (properly). Is here someone
> who got it working or knows, that it will not work?

Try Gvaiocontrols for screen brightness (the volume control doesn't
work yet).

http://gvaiocontrols.serialhacker.net/

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...

@ 2001-02-25 21:28   ` Matthias Bruestle
From: Matthias Bruestle @ 2001-02-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Bertola; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 08:07:02PM +0000, Drew Bertola wrote:
> Try Gvaiocontrols for screen brightness (the volume control doesn't
> work yet).

That works. There is also the commandline utility setbrightness.
This works too, but my problem is standby and suspend.

Thanks

endergone Zwiebeltuete

--

@ 2001-02-25 22:22   ` Matthias Bruestle
From: Matthias Bruestle @ 2001-02-25 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Note as stated in the FAQ: I am not subscribed, so please CC also to me,
when answering. (Or else my spies have to do this. :) )

Mahlzeit

I played a bit around more. /proc/sys/acpi looks good. The disassembled
output of FAC{SP} and DSDT o.s.l.t. looks "meaningfull". But I cannot
see any events in /proc/sys/acpi/event. (This is with 2.4.2-ac3.)

Thanks

endergone Zwiebeltuete

--

@ 2001-02-26 16:48 ` Junichi Morita
From: Junichi Morita @ 2001-02-26 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Bruestle; +Cc: linux-kernel, tridge

Hi!

I have a C1VJ.

> Note as stated in the FAQ: I am not subscribed, so please CC also to me,
> when answering. (Or else my spies have to do this. :) )
>
> Mahlzeit
>

> I have been told, that I might get help here. I have a Sony VAIO C1Vx.
> (In my case x=E.) My problem is the power management, i.e. standby and
> suspend. I was not able to get it working (properly). Is here someone
> who got it working or knows, that it will not work?
>
> My tries so far:
>
> 2.4.2 with APM:
>
> - Fn+Fxx does nothing.
I think ... This <Fn+Fxx> keys controled by SPIC(Sony Programmable I/O Control Device).
Download a picturebook application from
 http://samba.org/picturebook/
and make it.
and check with this command...
 # capture -j
then press <Fn+Fxx> keys. May be you can see the press event...
Here is a event data...
 <Fn+ESC>  : event 0x10 0x29  &  event 0x10 0x28
 <Fn+F1>   : event 0x11    ------ same -----
 <Fn+F2>   :       0x12
    :                :    <F3> -> <F11> : 0x13 -> 0x1b
 <Fn+F12>  :       0x1c
 <Fn+"1">  :       0x21
 <Fn+"2">  :       0x22
 <Fn+"B">  :       0x35
 <Fn+"F">  :       0x33
 <Fn+"E">  :       0x32
 <Fn+"S">  :       0x34
 <Fn+"D">  :       0x31

> - standby makes the display black, but switches not the backlights off.
>   The only way to go back to normal is by switching to a text console
>   and then back to X.
Recompile the your Kernel with "Enable console blanking using APM" option.
then the backlights off.(only text console)
I checked Kernel 2.2.17,2.2.18 & 2.4.2

> - suspend is done properly, but to only way to get back to normal is
>   by switching the computer off and then boot again.
>
> 2.2.16 with APM:
>
> - Same as above.
Same...
but. My case is .... Wake up the CPU-FAN & IDE-LED ???

> 2.4.2 with ACPI:
>
> - I have compiled 2.4.2 with ACPI and without APM. acpid is started.
> - Fn-Fxx does hang the display and probably computer until a few seconds
>   after pressing a key or mouse button.
> - Don't know no other way of going into suspend or standby with ACPI.
>
> 2.4.2-ac3 with ACPI:
>
> - Same as above, but Fn-Fxx does nothing.
>
> So do I wasting here my time or is it possible to get standby/suspend
> working with the C1Vx? Has somebody got it working with APM or ACPI?
> Some pointers or even a detailed description?

My VAIO could(can) go into suspend mode....but never wakeup.
as same as APM case.

> Thanks all
>
> endergone Zwiebeltuete
>
> PS: I have installed Red Hat 7.0 (aka Little Red Ridinghood).
>
> --
> live free or die
> -

addition....
You can use the internal USB-Memory-Stick device with Kernel 2.2.18 and usb-storage module. and the sound module is ymfpci.
take care about ymfpci module... because, some time I get a NOISE!!!
in this case just shutdown(not reboot!).

Thanks
--
Junichi Morita
jun1m@mars.dit.ne.jp

* Re: Power management on Sony C1Vx
@ 2001-02-26 19:13   ` Matthias Bruestle
From: Matthias Bruestle @ 2001-02-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junichi Morita; +Cc: linux-kernel, tridge

Mahlzeit

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 01:48:26AM +0900, Junichi Morita wrote:
> I think ... This <Fn+Fxx> keys controled by SPIC(Sony Programmable I/O Control Device).
> Download a picturebook application from
>  http://samba.org/picturebook/
> and make it.

Done.

> and check with this command...
>  # capture -j
> then press <Fn+Fxx> keys. May be you can see the press event...
> Here is a event data...
>  <Fn+ESC>  : event 0x10 0x29  &  event 0x10 0x28
>  <Fn+F1>   : event 0x11    ------ same -----
>  <Fn+F2>   :       0x12
>     :                :    <F3> -> <F11> : 0x13 -> 0x1b

Works, but it seams a bit flakey. Sometimes I get 0xXX 0x29 and 0xXX 0x28
and sometimes only 0xXX 0x28. The "jog dial" is even more flakey. This
has the third variation of no events at all.

> > - standby makes the display black, but switches not the backlights off.
> >   The only way to go back to normal is by switching to a text console
> >   and then back to X.
> Recompile the your Kernel with "Enable console blanking using APM" option.
> then the backlights off.(only text console)
> I checked Kernel 2.2.17,2.2.18 & 2.4.2

The C1Vx does support as I have now heard in principle no APM, so I
would have to use ACPI. If I want to use ACPI I cannot compile in APM,
else it tries to use APM. A way to switch of the backlights, which
works very reliable, is shuting the notebook. :)

> My VAIO could(can) go into suspend mode....but never wakeup.
> as same as APM case.

I seams every C1Vx does other things.

> You can use the internal USB-Memory-Stick device with Kernel 2.2.18 and usb-storage module.

"modprobe usb-storage" does dectect the floppy, does detect the memory
stick (prorietary crap) and hangs then forever. (With 2.4.2 and 2.4.2-ac3)

> and the sound module is ymfpci.
> take care about ymfpci module... because, some time I get a NOISE!!!

I had this also, the I installed the ALSA driver and no problems again
with it.

Mahlzeit

endergone Zwiebeltuete

--