On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 14:15 -0600, Josh Poimboeuf wrote: > On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 08:55:40PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote: > > On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Linus Torvalds wrote: > >  > > > On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:28 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote: > > > > > > > > Make sure we scan all bytes before we decide to optimize the NOPs in > > > > there. > > >  > > > Can we also add compile-time checking (presumably in objtool, but who > > > knows) that there are no relocations in the alternative section? > >  > > Cc'ing the overlor^Haded objtool wizard > >  > > > Because that was the other "oops, this really doesn't work with > > > altinstructions" issue, wasn't it? > > I think .altinstruction relocations *do* work if they're for the first > instruction, and it's a jump or a call.  There's some alternatives code > which adjusts the jump/call offset in that case, and there are some > users of alternatives who rely on that. > > I think Boris had a patch floating around to add an instruction decoder > to alternatives, so you can do a call/jmp anywhere. Strictly speaking, it's not about the ELF relocs. Those get processed in advance, and the altinstructions already have them applied. What Borislav had was a patch to process the actual branch instructions, then frob their targets by {&altinstr - &oldinstr} to make them work again... except it only worked by chance for targets *within* the altinstr. On the whole I think we're better off not touching that right now for fear that it will introduce new bugs. But yes, it *should* be fixed.... just not this week please ;)