On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 16:48 -0600, Josh Poimboeuf wrote: > >   1) Meltdown is addressed > >   2) Retpoline mostly covered if we have working compilers some day  > >   3) RSB after vmexit and on context switch (pending) > > > > plus the infrastructure and basic building blocks are in place. > > > > That's what is going to be in 4.15 (unless Linus goes berserk on the pull > > requests) To be clear: This doesn't include IBPB and thus userspace processes (and VM guests) are not protected from each other. But the attacks there are extremely hard to pull off, and I think we can live with that in the short term. IBPB does need to be next, but I think we're entirely correct to proceed without it for now. I just want to make sure we're clear about the status. > And for those who are curious (I was) it looks like the BPF variant 1 > fix has already been merged into Linus' tree. Great. I was going to check on that too. > Thomas, amazing job distilling some sanity out of the pandemonium. Indeed. Thank you, Thomas. FWIW we've done a backport of the sysfs/vulnerability and retpoline parts to 4.9, including cherry-picking a few earlier needed commits: http://git.infradead.org/retpoline-stable.git/shortlog/refs/heads/linux-4.9.y Josh, I'd very much appreciate your eyes on my objtool-related backports — both your retpoline-specific patches, as well as the .discard.* bits they depended on. Thanks. Bringing ASM_CALL_CONSTRAINT in as-is seemed like the same thing to do too.