* i845 anybody?
@ 2001-10-04  7:52 Igor Mozetic
From: Igor Mozetic @ 2001-10-04  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Has anybody had any success/problems with i845 based mobo?
Low-end Pentium IV + a lot of SDRAM seems a good deal at the moment.

Alternatively, I was considering Athlon + VIA 133A, but I have
noticed a number of reported problems on this list.
Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

-Igor Mozetic

* Re: i845 anybody?
@ 2001-10-04 20:32 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-04 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Mozetic; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Has anybody had any success/problems with i845 based mobo?
> Low-end Pentium IV + a lot of SDRAM seems a good deal at the moment.

i845 doesnt have DDR support, so if you want high memory bandwidth you
might want to look elsewhere.

> Alternatively, I was considering Athlon + VIA 133A, but I have
> noticed a number of reported problems on this list.
> Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

I think its fair to say we understand the VIA chipset problems, then IDE
stuff is dealt with. The athlon optimsation problem is also something with
a known cure.

Alan

* RE: i845 anybody?
@ 2001-10-04 20:46 Holzrichter, Bruce
From: Holzrichter, Bruce @ 2001-10-04 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alan Cox', igor.mozetic; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> Has anybody had any success/problems with i845 based mobo?
>> Low-end Pentium IV + a lot of SDRAM seems a good deal at the moment.

>i845 doesnt have DDR support, so if you want high memory bandwidth you
>might want to look elsewhere.

A third option, though I am not aware of the status of current kernel
support for it, is VIA's P4X266 chipset.  Pentium 4 with DDR.  You get some
bandwith with it, and the P4 needs bandwith.

> Alternatively, I was considering Athlon + VIA 133A, but I have
> noticed a number of reported problems on this list.
> Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

IMHO, I would go with the Athlon/DDR over the Low end P4 with SDRAM
everyday. ;o)

Good luck though.

Bruce H.