Andrea Arcangeli writes: > On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 06:30:40AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote: > > As next thing I'll go ahead on the inode/highmem imbalance repored by > > Alexey in the weekend. Then the only pending thing before next -aa is > > Here it is, you should apply it together with vm-35 that you need too > for the bh/highmem balance (or on top of 2.4.19pre8aa3). I tested it > slightly on uml and it didn't broke so far, so be careful because it's not > very well tested yet. On the lines of what Alexey suggested originally, > if goal isn't reached, in a second pass we shrink the cache too, but > only if the cache is the only reason for the "pinning" beahiour of the > inode. If for example there are dirty blocks of metadata or of data > belonging to the inode we wakeup_bdflush instead and we never shrink the > cache in such case. If the inode itself is dirty as well we let the two > passes fail so we will schedule the work for keventd. This logic should > ensure we never fall into shrinking the cache for no good reason and > that we free the cache only for the inodes that we actually go ahead and > free. (basically only dirty pages set with SetPageDirty aren't trapped > by the logic before calling the invalidate, like ramfs, but that's > expected of course, those pages cannot be damaged by the non destructive > invalidate anyways) > > Comments?