From: Peter Chubb <peter@chubb.wattle.id.au>
To: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Cc: Martin Konold <martin.konold@erfrakon.de>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Interactive Usage of 2.6.0.test1 worse than 2.4.21
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 08:43:22 +1000	[thread overview]

Andrew> Martin Konold <martin.konold@erfrakon.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when using 2.6.0.test1 on a high end laptop (P-IV 2.2 GHz, 1GB RAM)
>> I notice very significant slowdown in interactive usage compared to
>> 2.4.21.
>>
>> The difference is most easily seen when switching folders in
>> kmail. While 2.4.21 is instantaneous 2.6.0.test1 shows the clock
>> for about 2-3 seconds.

I see the same problem, and I'm using XFS.  Booting with
elevator=deadline fixed it for me.  The anticipatory scheduler hurts
if you have a disc optimised for low power consumption, not speed.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
You are lost in a maze of BitKeeper repositories,   all slightly different.