From: "Manfred Schwarb" <manfred99@gmx.ch>
To: Willy Tarreau <willy@w.ods.org>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.4.30-hf1 do_IRQ stack overflows
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:44:59 +0200 (MEST)	[thread overview]

> > Hi,
> > with recent versions of the 2.4 kernel (Vanilla), I get an increasing
> > amount of do_IRQ stack overflows.
> > This night, I got 3 of them.
> > With 2.4.28 I got an overflow about twice a year, with 2.4.29 nearly
> > once a month and with 2.4.30 nearly every day 8-((
>
> stupid question : have you tried reverting to older versions to check
> if the problem follows kernel upgrades or if something is ageing badly
> in your machine ?

No, I have not, and I think I will not find the needed time to fully
track it down.

> > My layout: Pentium4 HT SMP, raid1 on a promise card, driven by
> > libata_promise, everything using reiserfs, heavy nfs and network
> traffic,
> > with a Linksys (tulip) and a Realtek (8139too) NIC.
>
> do you mean that you tested both with tulip and realtek and that the
> problem happens with both of them, or that your machine needs those
> two NICs simultaneously ? Using a realtek with heavy NFS and network
> traffic seems somewhat odd, eventhough the driver is rather stable.

both simultaneously. I thought the realtek is enough for the internet
connection, as the bottleneck clearly is the ISP (we have a 10Mb/s wire).
"heavy" is relative, a few handful (<20) of concurrent connections.
the other NIC is the connection to the internal network.

> > The used 2.4.30-hf1 is pure Vanilla.
> >
> > Below my three overflow messages. Would the stack reduction patches of
> > Badari Pulavarty help in my case?
>
> I don't know. I suspect that it might delay the problem but not remove
> it.
>
> Regards,
> Willy

Thanks,
Manfred

--
+++ Neu: Echte DSL-Flatrates von GMX - Surfen ohne Limits +++
Always online ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl