On Oct 19, 2018, at 11:42 AM, Miklos Szeredi wrote: >>> +#define STATX_RESULT_MASK STATX__RESERVED >> >> Please don't use that bit. > > Using it internally is perfectly harmless. If we'll need to extend > statx in the future and make use of this flag externally, then we can > easily move the internal flag somewhere else (e.g. extend request_mask > to 64bit, which we'll probably need to do anyway in that case). I was thinking about this - what is the point of returning an error if STATX__RESERVED is set? If this is used to indicate the presence of e.g. stx_mask2, then newer applications trying to request any of the flags encoded into stx_mask2 will get an error, rather than the expected behaviour of "ignore flags you don't understand, and don't set them in the return stx_mask". Essentially, this will make STATX__RESERVED useless in the future, since no application will be able to use it without getting an error if they are running on an old kernel. Cheers, Andreas