Hi Am 01.02.22 um 18:00 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven: > Hi Thomas, > > On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 5:16 PM Thomas Zimmermann wrote: >> Am 31.01.22 um 11:18 schrieb Javier Martinez Canillas: >>> Another thing that's missing is a DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_I2C, because I used for >>> now a DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_Unknown. >> >> That might have implications on userspace. Maybe ask around. (Not that >> we actually run userspace on the device). > > Looking at the list of connector types (and wondering if we're gonna > need more when converting existing fbdev drivers to drm drivers), > there seem to be two different families of connector types, for > 1. transports between CRTC and display (e.g. VGA, DVID, HDMI), > 2. transports between CPU and CRTC (e.g. SPI, possibly USB, and > the proposed I2C)? I think I had a similar discussion when we merged the gud driver. gud is a driver for a RasPi-based usb display adapter. My point was that USB is just an internal transport bus, like PCI. But that wasn't convincing. So now we have USB and other busses as connector types. My preference would be to use a panel type as Daniel suggested; and maybe 'Unknown' for a few special cases. Best regards Thomas > > Gr{oetje,eeting}s, > > Geert > > -- > Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org > > In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But > when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. > -- Linus Torvalds -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev