LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
From: Michael Woods <michaeljpwoods@gmail.com>
To: Pavel Snajdr <snajpa@snajpa.net>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 4.19-rc4 released, an apology, and a maintainership note
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 23:13:08 +0100

Hi Pavel,

> and how about if we viewed the new Code of Conduct as about the same
> thing as BitKeeper was for the development process?
You should view the Code of Conduct for what it is, as I referenced
previously with real world examples, the evidence shows that it is just
a ploy to take control away from the competent and give it to the
incompetent.

An example of the hypocrisy Linus is in for:
a) From Coraline Ada Ehmke's Code of Conduct:
> Our Standards
>
> Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment
> include:
>
> * Using welcoming and inclusive language
and
> Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
>
> * Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political
> attacks
> * Public or private harassment
> * Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a
> professional setting
b)
> https://twitter.com/CoralineAda/status/1042249983590838272
> Coraline Ada Ehmke, @CoralineAda
> 40,000 open source projects, including Linux, Rails, Golang, and
> everything OSS produced by Google, Microsoft, and Apple have adopted
> my code of conduct.
>
> You can make me have a bad day, but it doesn’t change the fact that we
> have won and you have lost.
In software projects, there will be no "calling out" of bad behaviour
for the self identifed victims this was written for, whom are invariably
the least useful contributors and most capable of inventing victim
narratives. The CoC will be used by the mentally ill and incapable to
create accusations for attacking competent individuals.

> It was not perfect, but wass *something* for a start.
A Code of Conduct is not required, to the contrary, all successful
software projects, if they wish to remain so, should never adopt one. I
previously referenced preferable alternatives.

> I've been always looking up to the guys leading major community
> projects and how they go about things - and I think, that most of the
> bad fall-out in them is caused by insanely high expectations - firstly
> from the leader themselves, and secondly from others as well.
Linus has excelled up to this point, the Code of Conduct will stifle his
ability to maintain the kernel.

> The new Code of Conduct is a guarantee for us, that we won't be
> laughed out of the room  and that our members won't be demotivated to
> contribute upstream - if we can all agree to be nice on each other;
> yet we still need you guys to tell us, when we're trying stupid things
> or going about things the wrong way, in some way that we will notice &
> can learn from.
The one thing you do not understand, which is key to understanding why
complex projects are successful, most people are not intelligent enough
to contribute. Their contributions if accepted, would create chaos, and
if not simply rejected, would create long backlogs due to the amount of
effort required to explain why their code is not of the standard required.

> If I understand the context correctly, the previous "regime" could be
> the culprit, at least to some extent, why still don't have the VM
> look&feel-having containers with vanilla. So I'm just really trying to
> say, that I'm really excited about the signal this change has sent.
This is not a believable position, that you were waiting for a Code of
Conduct before contributing successfully to the Linux Kernel.

Regards,
Michael