On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 04:28:11PM -0800, David Ford wrote: > Some wild blatherings about sendmail... Warning: the following will likely be seen by some as flamebait. I've long ago divorced myself from sendmail to save my own sanity. > - Uses lots of memory to send a big file. > Incorrect. I just verified it with a 10 meg file which became a 14 meg attachment. > Sendmail consumed an additional 5 megs combined while handling the input and output v.s. > an idle daemon. Idle is 1.8M, recv was 4.0M, send was 2.3M, no measure on the remote > side. I sent it via pine to a remote address. As opposed to modern mail servers which can send messages of any size using constant sized small (well under 1M) processes. > - Requires high load average allowance > Incorrect. Same machine barely spiked a tenth of a point for this load and dropped > back to .05. You saw load while sending a single file? Modern mail servers can send without generating significant load (unless your server was a 386). I've used older Pentium boxes that could send 60 messages at a time without hitting .1 load. Anyways, this is rather off topic for linux-kernel. -- Bruce Guenter http://em.ca/~bruceg/