I know, jumping in at this late-stage is bad form... but if we're talking about the Intel 82543GC Gigabit MAC, why doesn't someone just use the FreeBSD if_wx.c driver as a starting point? It took me a while to find, as they refer to it as the LIVENGOOD instead of the 82543, but the PCI ProductID values seem to match... Matt On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 10:29:26PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote: > > As I see it, if Shawn has permission to freely distribute the specs, > > he can send a copy to Alan Cox for forwarding to the relevant driver > > developers. However, if he has to sign an NDA to get them, they're > > useless... > > > > Alan: Am I right in assuming this? > > It depends on the NDA. Lots of vendors NDA their docs because they give enough > info to cloen the hardware, or explain how to fab the chip, or include personal > details of employees .. and a million other reasons. Many sensible, many quite > daft. > > But in my experience you have a better chance of getting a straight answer out > of a politician than intels networking folks. Maybe they have reformed > > Alan > > - > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/ -- Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net Maintainer, Linux USB Mass Storage Driver It was a new hope. -- Dust Puppy User Friendly, 12/25/1998