* Re: threading question (results after thread pooling)
@ 2001-06-14 23:20 Dieter Nützel
From: Dieter Nützel @ 2001-06-14 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ognen Duzlevski; +Cc: Linux Kernel List

> Hello,
>
> I have implemented thread pooling (with an environment variable
> where I can give the number of threads to be created). Results:
>
> 1. Linux, no change in the times (not under 2.2.x or 2.4)
[snip]
> I am now pretty much inclined to believe that it is either a) hardware
> issue (someone mentioned that SPARCs and MIPSes handle things differently)
> or b) Linux for some reason just cant give me what IRIX/Solaris can in
> this particular case
[snip]

Hello Ognen,

can you get your hands on an dual AMD Athlon MP 1/1.2 GHz system?
The only mobo currently on the marked is the AMD 760MP based Tyan Thunder K7.
It has (all) the good stuff (Point-to-Point bus, crossbar) which former only
the (big) Alphas/SUN/SGI etc. had.

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/server/athlon/index.html
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html

Regards,
	Dieter
--
Dieter Nützel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg
Department of Computer Science
Cognitive Systems Group
Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg, Germany

email: nuetzel@kogs.informatik.uni-hamburg.de
@home: Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de

* Re: threading question
@ 2001-06-14 18:15 Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-06-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ognen; +Cc: Davide Libenzi, linux-kernel

> they are done. This should help it (and avoid the pthread_create,
> pthread_exit). I will implement this and report my results if there is
> interest.

You should also check up the cache colouring. X86 boxes have relatively poor
memory performance and most x86 chips have lousy behaviour when data bounces
between processors or is driven out of cache