* Re: 2.4.5-ac6 and 2.4.4-ac11 boot fails with APIC timer
@ 2001-06-16 11:38 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2001-06-16 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, root

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:27:53 +0900, <root@norma.kjist.ac.kr> wrote:

>> The message on the screen
>>
>> calibrating APIC timer .....
>> .... CPU clock speed is 1395.7390MHz
>> ... host bus clock speed is 0.0000 MHz
>> cpu: 0, clocks: 0, slic: 0
>>
>> Then nothing. I had to push the reset button at this point.
>> ACPI and APM were disabled from the kernel config.
>>
>> This boot failure messages was obtained from
>> Pentium4 board GB-450(?) from Intel, NVIDIA M64 video.
>> Sound Blaster 128 PCI. Netgear PNIC fast ethernet....
>>
>> The same kernel was able to boot up the other Pentium 4 board from
>> Gigabyte flawlessly. So, it depends on the motherboard manufacturers.
>>
>> Regards to all.
>>
>> G. Hugh Song
>
>Replying to my own message:
>
>When I chose "No" to "APIC support on uniprocessors", the above error
>message disappeared and the machine booted up OK with 2.4.5-ac13.
>I think that APIC thing was defined by Intel themselves.
>They should have implemented it the best.  How much penalty do I pay
>by not choosing "yes" to "APIC support on uniprocessors"?

>From the part of the dmesg log you quoted I conclude that
(a) the NMI watchdog didn't kill you (good), but
(b) the calibration loop detects a 0MHz bus speed and then fails
    to produce the "CPU0:<T0: ...>" line, which means it hangs in
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c:setup_APIC_timer(), probably because
    apic_read(APIC_TMCCT) always returns zero.

Anyway, you should disable CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC on your P4 for now.
You won't lose any performance due to this, only the possibility to
use the NMI watchdog.

/Mikael

* Re: 2.4.5-ac6 and 2.4.4-ac11 boot fails with APIC timer
@ 2001-06-16  2:27 root
From: root @ 2001-06-16  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> The message on the screen
>
> calibrating APIC timer .....
> .... CPU clock speed is 1395.7390MHz
> ... host bus clock speed is 0.0000 MHz
> cpu: 0, clocks: 0, slic: 0
>
> Then nothing. I had to push the reset button at this point.
> ACPI and APM were disabled from the kernel config.
>
> This boot failure messages was obtained from
> Pentium4 board GB-450(?) from Intel, NVIDIA M64 video.
> Sound Blaster 128 PCI. Netgear PNIC fast ethernet....
>
> The same kernel was able to boot up the other Pentium 4 board from
> Gigabyte flawlessly. So, it depends on the motherboard manufacturers.
>
> Regards to all.
>
> G. Hugh Song

Replying to my own message:

When I chose "No" to "APIC support on uniprocessors", the above error
message disappeared and the machine booted up OK with 2.4.5-ac13.
Please refer to the following diff:

diff .config.old .config
63,65c63
< CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
< # CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC is not set
< CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
---
> # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set

I think that APIC thing was defined by Intel themselves.
They should have implemented it the best.  How much penalty do I pay
by not choosing "yes" to "APIC support on uniprocessors"?

Best regards,

G. Hugh Song

* 2.4.5-ac6 and 2.4.4-ac11 boot fails with APIC timer
@ 2001-06-02  5:02 G. Hugh Song