* Error in documentation?
@ 2001-06-18 15:15 Geoffrey Gallaway
From: Geoffrey Gallaway @ 2001-06-18 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

linux/Documentation/modules.txt says that I should find my modules in
"linux/modules" after running "make modules". However, this is
apparently not true as I see no modules directory.

I am trying to compile a kernel with lots of modules for a machine
without a network connection. To move the kernel, I simply copy it to
floppy and move it over to the other machine. However, for the modules,
is my only choice appears to be "make modules-install" then tar up
/lib/modules/kernel-release/ and then remove the directory. Is there a
cleaner way to handle this?

Geoffeg

--
Geoffrey Gallaway ||
geoffeg@sloth.org || Clones are people two.

* Re: Error in documentation?
@ 2001-06-18 16:04 ` Steven Walter
From: Steven Walter @ 2001-06-18 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Gallaway; +Cc: linux-kernel

It does appear that the documentation regarding this is out of date.
However, you can still install modules to a given location by:

INSTALL_MOD_PATH="/path/to/modules" make modules_install

Had to dig through the Makefile for that, though it may actually be
documented somewhere.

--
-Steven
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.