* Simple example of using slab allocator?
@ 2001-06-15 22:19 Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2001-06-15 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Developer List

For 2.5, I'm planning on switching my driver over to the slab allocator,
for a variety of reasons.  Does anyone have a _dead_ simple example of how
to use such a beast?  I've seen the various web pages and document
explaining the API, but I love to see working examples for reference (and
to fill in the blanks).

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

Okay, this isn't funny anymore! Let me down!  I'll tell Bill on you!!
					-- Microsoft Salesman
User Friendly, 4/1/1998

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* Re: Simple example of using slab allocator?
@ 2001-06-18 16:56 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-06-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Dharm; +Cc: Kernel Developer List

Matthew Dharm writes:
> For 2.5, I'm planning on switching my driver over to the slab allocator,
> for a variety of reasons.  Does anyone have a _dead_ simple example of how
> to use such a beast?  I've seen the various web pages and document
> explaining the API, but I love to see working examples for reference (and
> to fill in the blanks).

The slab allocator IS dead simple to use, basically:

- driver global variable:

kmem_cache_t *usb_mass_cachep;

- in the driver init function:

	usb_mass_cachep = kmem_cache_create("usb_mass_cache",
					    sizeof(struct whatever),
					    0, SLAB_HWCACHE_ALIGN,
					    NULL, NULL);
	(check for NULL usb_mass_slab)

- in the driver cleanup function:

	if (usb_mass_cachep && kmem_cache_destroy(usb_mass_cachep))
		printk(KERN_ERR "usb_mass_cache: not all structures freed\n");

- wherever you need an item from the slab cache:

	whateverp = kmem_cache_alloc(usb_mass_cachep, GFP_KERNEL);
	(check for NULL whateverp)

- when you are done with it:

	kmem_cache_free(usb_mass_cachep, whateverp);

Notes:
- if you have a slab leak and you don't free all of the items (hence the slab
  cache is not removed), you will probably get an oops when you reload the
  driver.  You can only have one slab cache per name ("usb_mass_cache" here).
- You may need different alignment (SLAB_HWCACHE_ALIGN), or not
- You may need different allocation policy (GFP_KERNEL), or not

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: Simple example of using slab allocator?
@ 2001-06-19  6:05   ` Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2001-06-19  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger; +Cc: Kernel Developer List

Well, if it's really that simple....

Another aspect of this, tho, is that I'd like to be able to profile my
memory usage.  Does the SA have any ability to report (easily) the number
of pages allocated and how full each one is?

Matt Dharm

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

God, root, what is difference?
					-- Pitr
User Friendly, 11/11/1999

@ 2001-06-19  7:51     ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-06-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Dharm; +Cc: Linux kernel development list

Matthew Dharm writes:
> Well, if it's really that simple....
>
> Another aspect of this, tho, is that I'd like to be able to profile my
> memory usage.  Does the SA have any ability to report (easily) the number
> of pages allocated and how full each one is?

Then "cat /proc/slabinfo" is your friend.  It lists currently allocated
objects, maximum objects that will fit in the current allocated pages,
size of object, pages used if objects were tightly packed, real pages
used, and pages per slab.

On SMP systems it also lists the number of slab cache objects kept
local to each CPU to avoid global locking when they need to allocate.

Cheers, Andreas