From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@f00f.org>
To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
	netdev@oss.sgi.com, "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: ethtool MII helpers
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:10:37 +1200	[thread overview]

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 01:34:59PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    Initial draft of a helper which uses generic elements present in several
    net drivers to implement ethtool ioctl support in a minimum amount of
    code.

    I have included a sample implementation in the epic100 driver, to
    illustrate how these helpers may be used.  This should make it easier to
    implement support across 10/100 hardware which uses primarily an MII
    phy.

    Comments appreciated.

Can someone explain to me why we have ethtool and mii-tool? Can we
not extend ethtool for the mii-tool stuff, even if only at userland?

  --cw