* kernel panic, a cry for help
@ 2001-09-05 16:00 oscarcvt
From: oscarcvt @ 2001-09-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

im not sure if this q belongs here but i need all the help i can get.

the www, dns, mail server at my site mysteriously got corrupted (not sure how).
Now i boot it up and get

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

what can i do? where should i start? i dont want to break anything so please
help me,

thanx to all,
oscar

* Re: kernel panic, a cry for help
@ 2001-09-05 16:08 ` Matt Bernstein
From: Matt Bernstein @ 2001-09-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oscarcvt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Doesn't sound like a kernel bug. Try a rescue CD, or, failing that it's
backup retrieval time...

Good luck!

@ 2001-09-05 16:15 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-09-05 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oscarcvt; +Cc: linux-kernel

> im not sure if this q belongs here but i need all the help i can get.
> the www, dns, mail server at my site mysteriously got corrupted (not sure how).
> Now i boot it up and get
>
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
>
> what can i do? where should i start? i dont want to break anything so please
> help me,

I suspect back up tapes. The kernel cannot find an /sbin/init to run when
it starts up. That could be on of several things

	-	Disk failure
	-	Someone broke in and erased it all
	-	Misconfiguration

A rescue disk is probably the starting point

* Re: kernel panic, a cry for help
@ 2001-09-05 16:26   ` oscarcvt
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: oscarcvt @ 2001-09-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

ive started with a rescue disk, /sbin/init is present, lilo.conf seems fine,
where might i go next?

thanx to all,
oscar

@ 2001-09-05 17:08     ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-09-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oscarcvt; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 oscarcvt@galileo.edu wrote:

> ive started with a rescue disk, /sbin/init is present, lilo.conf seems fine,
> where might i go next?
>
> thanx to all,
> oscar

>From the root account, just execute lilo with no parameters.
Then you can boot normally.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.

* Re: kernel panic, a cry for help
@ 2001-09-05 17:50     ` Frank Schneider
From: Frank Schneider @ 2001-09-05 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oscarcvt; +Cc: linux-kernel

oscarcvt@galileo.edu schrieb:

> ive started with a rescue disk, /sbin/init is present, lilo.conf seems fine,
> where might i go next?

Is /sbin/init executable ?

Check it with ls:
ls -l /sbin/init should get you
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        26876 Jun 21 20:58 /sbin/init

Is it the correct file ?
Compare it against another maschine or copy it from there (same
Distribution, save the old file)

Try giving the Kernel a parameter at bootime: at the LILO-Prompt, press
<tab>, then enter the imagename followed by the parameter, e.g. "linux
init=/bin/bash"
The kernel should boot up and give you a single (root-) shell.

Uses the kernel the right root-device ?
If not, give it to him at boottime like the init=Stuff: "root=/dev/hda1"
says the kernel to mount /dev/hda1 as rootdevice ("/") and search on
this device for "init".

Solong..
Frank.

--
Frank Schneider, <SPATZ1@T-ONLINE.DE>.
Microsoft isn't the answer.

* Re: kernel panic, a cry for help
@ 2001-09-05 19:16     ` Fred
From: Fred @ 2001-09-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oscarcvt, linux-kernel

well,
try these:

first start with a ckfs of your root filesystem, that'd be:
# ckfs /dev/hdax
for ide systems where x is usually 1-4
 or
# ckfs /dev/sdax
for scsi systems where x is 0-6

if no troubles reported, the I'd suggest that you check some of the important
files for sign of tampering ( /etc/passwd /etc/shadow )
if no tampering is evident, then check to see if you can boot the machine by
giving lilo a command line (right as the machine boots, you get the lilo
prompt (or you have to press CTRL-X to get it):

lilo: linux init=/sbin/init

if this boots the machine, then all that is needed is to add this paramater
to lilo.conf:

append = "init=/sbin/init"

and then rerun lilo.

if it's something else, I  need more info.
good luck
Fred

@ 2001-09-05 18:24 Manfred Spraul
From: Manfred Spraul @ 2001-09-05 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oscarcvt; +Cc: linux-kernel

> ive started with a rescue disk, /sbin/init is present, lilo.conf seems
fine,
> where might i go next?

run fsck.
then mount the root device.
Try to chroot into the root device (could fail)
Then verify the core packages with the package manager from your distro.
(rpm -Va or rpm --root /tmp/rootmount -Va)
Then check all libraries match the installed cpu - If you upgrade to an
i686 glibc with a K6 cpu you'd run into a similar error message.

Good luck,
    Manfred