From: "Etienne Lorrain" <etienne_lorrain@yahoo.fr>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: specific optimizations for unaccelerated framebuffers
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:31:18 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

 --- Paul [private mail] wrote:
> You might like to do some performance measurements on
> X with a shadow framebuffer - see
>
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/apm5.html

  This seems to still use the processor to copy the shadow buffer
 to the video memory, you will still have the PCI write stall...

> I have a machine with an SiS 630 where the video memory _is_
> main memory - the impact of the graphics processor continually
> DMAing data for display is huge.

  I am not speaking of DMA'ing at the refresh frequency (approx 70 times
 per second the complete video memory), just the modified 64Kb blocks,
 "once upon a while": if a single pixel is written twice, you will just
 see the latter written value on the screen - but who cares.
  Been able to DMA the complete video memory image around 5-10 times/second
 should be over the human eye sensitivity.
  Moreover this pixel will stay on the processor memory cache a lot
 longer, even without MTRR processors.

  Etienne.