* regd kernel compilation
@ 2001-11-06 17:17 Step 1 B
From: Step 1 B @ 2001-11-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi
 During the processing of compiling the kernel and getting it running, I
observed that my kernel not only contains software for my current hardware
configuration, but also for other hardware as well.(both in the kernel and
as modules). and during bootup, the kernel identifies the hardware and
either uses the concened part in the kernel, or loads the concerned
module. Cant this be done during compilation(ie., kernel building) itself
so that I get a smaller kernel and a smaller set of modules on my disk ?
Or is just that the current kernel compilation framework does not support
this ?

Note that I do not know what hardware I have, so I want the
compilation scripts to identify the hardware and make the correct and minimal config.

I am not on this mailing list, so please
cc me any responses.

thanks

* Re: regd kernel compilation
@ 2001-11-07  3:27 ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-11-07  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Step 1 B; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:17:32 -0500,
Step 1 B <step1b@cyberspace.org> wrote:
>Note that I do not know what hardware I have, so I want the
>compilation scripts to identify the hardware and make the correct and minimal config.

Planned for kernel 2.5.  Changes to both CML and kbuild are required to
support hardware probing and auto configuration.  Mostly done already,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbuild/
http://people.debian.org/~cate/files/kautoconfigure/autoconfigure/

* Re: regd kernel compilation
       [not found] <sbe7bac4.014@MAIL-SMTP.uvsc.edu>
@ 2001-11-06 18:09 ` Step 1 B
From: Step 1 B @ 2001-11-06 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler BIRD, step1b, linux-kernel

The number of hardware ettings is just too many,and so I  fear
I may go somewhere  wrong. so I want it the automatic way only.

1. Is this approach been discussed earlier too ? How easy/tough is it
  to do it ? how good/bad is it ?

2. How is hardware detected ? Which part of the kernel source should
I look at ?

Again, please cc me the responses.